Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For A New Mobile Phone

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looking For A New Mobile Phone

Hi All
I am looking for a new mobile phone, at present I have a BlackBarry Curve 8520, the network that I am with is Virgin Mobile, I have looked in there Middlesbrough Shop outside the cleveland shopping center, I was looking for a New BlackBarry, but Virgin Mobile don't do BlackBarry Mobile Phones any more, thay only do Android, windows and Apple Phones now, the problem with them is that the NSA plus the CIA get your data I.E. Phone Numbers and all your contact details.
I can get a BlackBarry Z10 from Carphone Warehouse, but it would not be with Virgin Mobile, it would be with T-Mobile, O2, Vodafone, and I would have to pay to get out of my contract with Virgin Mobile what ends in Febuary 2015
Oh before I forget the staff who work in Virgin Mobile, EE and 3G don't see any problem with the NSA and the CIA getting there data!
So any one got any ideas?
18 REPLIES 18
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Looking For A New Mobile Phone

Amazon sell the Blackberry Z10 sim-free...
I'd not seen anything else about the NSA/CIA obtaining my contacts purely from having an Android phone - could you provide a link to a reputable source for this?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Nothing reputable, plenty of hearsay about all it saying there are back doors in all mobile os including blackberry.
If you don't want to tracked, don't have a phone..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@geofftswin, It was on one of the reports that Edward Snowden released, plus it was on a news report that the USA government requires a back door for CIA and the NSA in to all companies in the USA that deal with foreigners electronically, Google, Microsoft and Apple were highlighted.
The problem that I have is with:

• Android Phone

All your contact details are kept by Google

• Windows Phone

All your contact details are kept by Microsoft

• Apple Phone

All your contact details are kept by Apple
As soon as you sink your phone your data is uploaded to their servers.
See my problem with them?  
and please don't come out with if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear!
That is the brown stuff that I got off Virgin Mobile store!
[Edit]
@dvorak, as for this bit of brown stuff:
If you don't want to tracked, don't have a phone

Don't make me laugh.
You do know there are  less and  less pay phones weekly, plus you do know all pay phones are tapped by GCHQ?
gswindale
Grafter

Interestingly; I've just looked back at my call logs on my mobile - the last actual call I made was on 27th Jan.
There are a few incoming calls - but that is where I've deliberately given my mobile rather than my work/home number as it is easier to ignore!
I don't really need a mobile; but it is useful in case of emergencies - if there was a cheaper option that only allowed texting; then I'd be in favour of that!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Midnight
The problem that I have is with:

• Android Phone

All your contact details are kept by Google

@MC,  on my Android phone I have the choice to store contacts on my Google account, on the SIM or in the phone internal memory.  I can also choose whether to sync contacts with my Google (gmail) account.  If I store them n the SIM or on the phone and don't sync Contacts with the Google account then they are not stored by Google.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Write the contact details on paper (this is very secure).
Use the numerical keypad if you actually need to make a call.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
If I store them n the SIM or on the phone and don't sync Contacts with the Google account then they are not stored by Google.

That is not what Virgin Mobile staff said to me, thay said your contact details from your Android Phone is kept by Google as soon as your Phone sinks with Google, if you download an app thats it your Phone has sinked with Google.   Huh
[Edit]
@vilefoxdemonofdoom, You do realise that, that is not an option for me writing the contact details on paper, I here you say why?
1) I have Dyslexia.
2) I have Dyspraxia.
3) I have Arthritis.
4) My hand writing is bad.
5) Oh nearly forgot I wear spectacles to see text, and I don't always cary them on me.
HalfShaft
Dabbler

You do realise that whatever carrier you use records the metadata of all your calls/texts (at best thats all) and GCHQ can request that without you ever knowing under similar 'anti-terrorism' that the US have, and that they will pass that on to the US should they request it.
My point being, if you want to use a phone (mobile or otherwise) without the powers to be being able to look in, you can't.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm not bothered if the CIA/FBI/NSA know my contacts etc...
After all they are only trying to protect us and have access to track don terrorists etc...
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@HalfShaft, So from what you said I am scrood this way and that way, bugger it I may as well go for a bloody Android Phone.    Sad
Do you have any recommendations?  on a Android Phone!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

given your earlier comment about needing glasses to read text (and you sometimes don't have them with you) do you have a minimum requirement for screen size / text size
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Oldjim, I would say text size 12 point, what I find helpful on the BlackBarry is you can add a Photograph to who you are calling.
gswindale
Grafter

I believe most phones now have that capability.
Certainly my Windows phone shows all my contacts with their Facebook profile images (if available).
If text size is important; then you may need to look into screen sizes and resolutions.
Mav
Fixes: 514

If it helps I found the Samsung S3 and S4Mini displays slightly better than those of the HTC Sensation.
I currently have the S4Mini and, while the screen is a little smaller than the S4 it is very clear. I never sync anything with Google but this thread now has me wondering whether using Google Play actually includes any syncing even though I have that option turned off.
I've never liked the iPhone and SWMBO was continually frustrated with the restrictions a couple of years imposed when using iTunes.
I use MyPhoneExplorer to copy files and update contacts (including adding photos of my choice) from my PC and it works well both wired and wireless. It can also be done using Bluetooth but I haven't tried that as yet.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still