cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long range antenna taking over signal from laptops?

breakat
Grafter

Long range antenna taking over signal from laptops?

Hi, i'm running my computers through wi fi. There's another computer that uses long range antenna to connect to my router. It seems to be that when this is in use (although not all the time), it 'takes over' the cell disrupting the signal to the laptops that just connect with their internal receivers. So i was wondering, does this sound reasonable?
It's not the bandwidth because i've limited the machine that uses the long range antenna. And it seems to be the cell that's 'taken over' because even connecting to the router is difficult, not just remote servers on the internet. The long range antenna/computer uses the connectify software. I've been googling a bit but have come up stumps so thought i'd post here and ask if anyone has any insight into what may be happening.
14 REPLIES 14
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Long range antenna taking over signal from laptops?

have you got WPA security enabled?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm thinking this might be the "hidden station problem", if the device with the long range antenna cannot "see" signals from the laptops, perhaps if the long range antenna is directional and aimed at the router.
Enabling RTS/CTS (on the laptops) might help.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you download the free program inssider from here http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/ ; it should tell you who it is and show you what other channels you can use
pierre_pierre
Grafter

here is one from my Hotel Bedroom, the hotel has four guest channels due to the thick granite walls
use the 2.4g button to get the channel spread
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

InSSIDer will be no help with the hidden station problem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem
InSSIDer only shows other access points that you can see, it doesn't show transmissions from client devices - which might be nearer to you than the access point they are talking to. And it won't be much help if the problem is caused by different devices within the same SSID.
Edit: I'm assuming the OP wants the machine with the long range antenna to be able to communicate alongside the other laptops.
breakat
Grafter

Thanks for response. WPA is enabled. I don't seem to be able to get that inssider as it's appears to be Windows only and i don't use that. I'm trying to figure out that CTS/RTS, although the terminal commands i think i'm meant to use don't seem to be working... so i guess they're not the right commands.
If i connect through ethernet the problem goes away. The antenna is pointed at the router. Sometimes machines can see each other sometimes they can't, very intermittent.
Yeah i want the machine with the antenna to communicate alongside the laptops, but only to the internet really, not fussed about networking. The antenna machine is secondary importance, it's a mate that i'm allowing to use my connection because he doesn't have a phone line where he lives.
I'll keep looking. Thanks.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Depends on what sort of long range antenna we talking, how much distance?
im sure Sean wont mind me posting but take a look at his implementation Here
Are we talking 50-100m, or we talking a few km?  Wink
You'll also probably find, that if your using a high gain / long range antenna, its "too powerful" for the router your using (if its too close), and is overwhelming the other devices (e.g. they cant get a signal because the 'air' is too busy (its dealing with a massive signal already)) if that makes sense.
A little more detail in what your trying to acheive would be helpful i feel Smiley
Regards
breakat
Grafter

That's looks like a cool guide, i will go through it. Thanks.
As for more info: The distance is probably ~30m. I think the antenna is quite powerful although i'm not really savvy on this stuff. From what i understand it's a 2200mW  +18 DBi directional antenna. It uses a high power (although what that actually is i don't know), WiFi RF amplifier. Reportedly it will reach a few KM.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Reportedly it will reach a few KM.

This is my point Wink
Normally with these sorts of "high power" antenna, your better off getting 2 - and pointing them at each other (rather than at a router).
, its "too powerful" for the router your using (if its too close), and is overwhelming the other devices

Sounds like i was right tbh chap, if you can reduce the output power of the antenna and see if it makes a difference? I have a little knowledge of this from playing with Cantennas and wifi crippling from college  Grin (we tried to disrupt wifi signals etc, and 'swamping' the signal is a good method)
You'll probably find that the kit you can find these days is probably quite alot faster than what Seans using though, (technology advances and all that jazz..)
Are we looking at something like This or more of an "outdoorsy" wifi AP sort, like Seans?
Regards
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is this likely to be causing problems for neighbours too?
David
breakat
Grafter

That amazon link looks like the exact same thing. I will see him about reducing the power of it. Thanks.
Sprax, unfortunately i have no idea sorry. 
matt_2k34
Grafter

likely to be causing problems for neighbours

If they're close enough, yes, definitely. but it depends entirely on the output of said device, id say that antenna is more for pointing at APs from a high vantage point, perhaps across a city... rather than doing a 30m short stint.
Sadly the BT adverts quite a good way of 'visualising' the signal (you know.. the coloured "wavey lines" around the room, just think how far the lines radiate out from that high power antenna in comparison to a 'regular' antenna.)
You'd probably better off puting a standard AP into a bridge mode, surely? (how dense is the area between the two points?)
If its *just* 30m, is it not plausible to whack in a Cat5 cable, and then put a switch on either end?
Regards
Ellis
Grafter

This sounds like the problem we had with VHF radio transceivers, the strongest station takes over the channel.
Have you thought of using the Homeplug system (providing your system is all on the same phase).
http://www.faculty-x.net/compare%2085%20homeplugs.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

different houses, most unlikely