Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logon problem

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Logon problem

When I switched on my normal use laptop <not the computer being used to type this>...
At the Windows logon screen, which has my User Account and Administrator Account icons and logon password boxes. When I tried to logon to the user account I received the following message
"The User Profile Service service failed the login
User Profile cannot be be loaded"
After a short period the page goes blank, then page with the account icons reappears.
If I try the logon using an incorrect password, I get the usual Red/white X "The username or password is incorrect"
So I'm guessing that since I get two different messages at logon my password is in the first instance is in fact correct.
The Administrator Account opens normally (different password, tried for the User Account but that didn't work)
Help please! is there anything I can do in the Administrator Account to fix the User Account profile loading?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES 10
davidg52
Grafter

Re: Logon problem

Hi
Have a look at this, it might help you, it actually deletes logon passwords so you can start again.
http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html
Regards
Dave
TLE
Grafter

Sounds like your user profile has become corrupt, Hence why the Administrator account is working.
How you fix it depends on the Operating System you are running, although they are pretty similar.
What version of windows are you running?
NedLudd
Grafter

If you can gain access thru' the Admin A/c can't you just delete the User A/c and recreate it?
Geoff,
York.
TLE
Grafter

If he deletes the account he will lose all his customisations and possibly files if he doesn't tell it to keep them.
If you follow the MS method of repairing a corrupt profile you should keep all your customisations and files without having to copy them from the old profile to the new one  :).
petlew
Pro

Thanks guys for your help.
Quite right TLE as I've already tried that.
I also tried the davidg52's software fix, but that requires a recovery disc. I may have made one several years ago when I upgraded to Win 7, but I couldn't put my hand on it just now <slapped wrist> I suppose there's no point in trying with the installation disc?
Can I make another recovery disc at this late stage?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
davidg52
Grafter

Hi
If you download this software you can burn a recovery disk from that. It does work as I tried it on my own pc.
Regards
Dave
TORPC
Grafter

Press F8 on bootup & choose repair computer
petlew
Pro

Well, I'm back on...
By blind luck....I think. Having got fed up with wait for the shut down time every time I tried something else, I simply switched off using the on/off button <which we all know we shouldn't do.
On the next restart I was offered the "system repair and restore" option, so almost out of desperation I took the option, and it worked, claiming to have made several repairs, after about ten minutes windows started normally using my first password <I had changed it several times today>
So far all seems Ok, no doubt I will find out at the next cold start.

TORPC
Grafter

Glad your back upnrunning
Albeit without 3rd party programs / boot discs et al
Let us know how you get on
petlew
Pro

Yes, all seems back to normal. Obviously the Restore option had as much to do with this repair as the System Repair. I lost all the passwords I was trying yesterday except the original one, together with the new User Account I tried to set up. And the downloaded during repair attempts Lazesoft software was lost.
I don't know at what point it restored to as it didn't ask or tell me, but was quite recent as new software loaded in the last few days was still there, I have created and named a restore point as it is now. None of the saved "work" immediately prior to the "crash" was lost and I was able to carry on exactly where I left off.
So I suppose a lot of the thanks goes to Microsoft's built in diagnostics and repair features as it certainly seems to have worked in this case.
Thanks for your input guys.