Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login Problem

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Login Problem

Wondered if anyone else has this issue.  Have a Toshiba Laptop, 2.5Ghz celeron, 1Gb RAM. Windows XP pro SP3.  Recently it has been hanging for approx 30-45 seconds after entering password at the loading user preferences part of the boot sequence. After this, it gets to the desktop, and the Logon sounds, and then loads OK.  Have tried getting rid of all the junk with CCCleaner, run Spyware and Virus scans, all clean. Used Bootvis, and defragged the disk, still nothing. I have a PCMCIA wireless card that is always in, and occ failed to get a connection, but solved by just taking out and putting back in, but this is very rare it happens. Wondered if anyone can offer any advice, as I am stumped. Only have antivirus, and Zonealarm starting at login, disabled most other stuff with MSCONFIG.
11 REPLIES 11
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Login Problem

Did I miss what the problem is?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

?
Problem is its taking much longer at the loading user preferences screen, approx up to a minuite, rather than the normal few seconds it used to.
geewizz
Grafter

Oh, I see. Yeah, all the PCs I have had have taken longer to boot up the longer I had them. I bought this one two years ago and it now takes about four minutes until i can start using it. I have a very dusty delete key.
samuria
Grafter

Does logging in as another user solve the problem if you havent another account try creating one. This would isolate the problem as to whether its your personal profile or all users. If its faster with a new user then its something in your profile  like a network connection that its trying to restore.
It could be the profile is corrupt
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Will try that, thanks.
No network drives mapped that I know of, only a network printer, that is attacted to the desktop upstairs, that is currently dismantled, for a room move, but even when this system was turned off, it never did this (the laptop).  Do you think it could the the wireless card being in all the time, and not communicating properly. I was thinking of rebulding the TCP stack, see if that has any effect.
Not applicable

If it has the wireless card turned on/plugged in when you start it, it could be looking for other machines on your network whilst its starting up.
Try removing the card and see if it goes any faster.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Its a little quicker with the wireless card`out, and the actual administrator account is quicker still. Must be some kind of profile issue. Pieced together the desktop, and thats OK, but its a far quicker system (dual core and 2Gb RAM), and this with the metwork cable out. Will create a new profile, and see what that does, but I am expecting it to be quicker, the absolute pain, will be that I will now not have the same username and password on both systems, so it mucks up the networking a little.  Can I recreate my old user profile, with the same username and password. I realise windows will see it differently, but will that effect accessing netowork resources, AFAIK, workgroups just need the same username and password on each system dont they?Huh
samuria
Grafter

You have now worked out its your profile which was what we wanted. Before you go creating another profile see what you can do with yours. Download startup cpl free from
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
see what you have going at startup  HKCU is your profile bit just untick anything you dont need (you can put it back later by re ticking) and anything you are not sure you need. Reboot and see if that improves it
Anything network can slow it down like the printer as it can be trying to reconnect to the printer marking the printer offline may improve things.
You could rename the account or delete it and then create a new one with the same name but the sid would be different so any file properties may be wrong.
You could try any of the reg fixers and see if they improve things
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Samuria
Is this different to using MSCONFIG??  I have disabled everything already thats nonessential with this, and for the services tab as well.  Will try making the printer offline as well.
Cheers
samuria
Grafter

It is basically the same as MSconfig just more user friendly to my way of thinking. You could try pressing F8 on boot up and choosing boot log this gives you a log of what has loaded. You could then try it with the other account and see if there is anything different.
It could be something daft like software installed as one user and not every user or a file history a lot of things keep file history like word and if there is one on a network drive or something they can search for it. Word used to be a pest if you saved to a floppy as every time you opened it the floppy would light up until you cleared the history.
You could try winpatrol from http://www.winpatrol.com/ it is a great prog which stops any changes to your system but it shows you services Active X and other stuff there is things like delayed startup which Msconfig etc doesnt show
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@samuria.
Thanks.  Seems to have gone right.  I had run bootvis a few months ago, but ran it again, and it appears to have improved the issue.
Thanks for the advice anyway.
Cheers
Chris