cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking Ports from IPs

bigdingus

Locking Ports from IPs

Hi folks.

I have a server that I use to backup my office PCs.

I'm looking to close all ports using FTP with the exception of my office static IP.

Does anyone know if this can be done using the firewall?

6 REPLIES 6
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Locking Ports from IPs

I'm a bit miffed now, i wrote you a nice long reply but a moderator moved the topic from general chat to tech support while i was writing and as soon as i clicked post it was vapourised because the topic i was replying to was wrong.

If you post in chit chat, it needs to be just that - chit chat, not a tech support topic because you've just lost a reply from me between yourself and the moderator who moved it. I'm not typing it all out again slowly to avoid waking up my toddler whos in the same room - it takes too long.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bigdingus

Thanks 7up, but my topic never fitted nicely into any of the forums.

Thanks for trying though.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@7up click on your profile and see if it has been saved in autosaved drafts.

7up
Community Veteran

@bigdingus wrote:

Thanks 7up, but my topic never fitted nicely into any of the forums.

That translates in my head as:

"I didn't see / didn't bother looking properly for a forum about any form of technical support so just posted.. well where ever".

With respect, are you really saying that your topic for some software support doesn't fit in here?:

screenshot_368

It just seems a bit weird really that you think it wouldn't fit in there.

Anyhow.. pip squeek is now awake so i can bash furiously away at the keyboard again without worrying.. but i'm not going to write the lengthy reply i did earlier - you don't have the time and neither do I.

Look for an ftp server that has a white / blacklist. Get yourself a dynamic DNS address if you have a dynamic IP and then just whitelist your office / home IP / dyn address so that connections from anywhere else are dropped automatically.

You're not going to get many folk talk about firewalls here because you didn't even give consideration to giving our people your operating system details. You have to help those you want help from you know - if you make half an effort the people you want help from will make even less of one.

Sorry if my post is a bit harsh but i wrote you a long reply earlier and because you / this shoddy forum can't do things properly it got lost and wasted my efforts.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Knowing there are some limitations to the forum I am surprised you don't copy/paste a lengthy reply to, say, Notepad before posting just in caseWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran

It's a bit of a faff though isn't it.. but i may have to start doing that soon as this lithium junk is driving me mad. The old SMF forum was superior to this and that was creaking and threatening to fall apart on a daily basis.

I am seriously fed up with this lithium junk.