Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of computer

juliasdream
Grafter

Locked out of computer

Theres a corrupt file in Windows that wont allow me to log on
I get to the log on screen, click on my username and it wont advance. It simply logs me off again
I get the same in safe mode and last known configeration doesn't work either.
I want to run repair from the XP installation disc but cant change the boot order for it to start with the CD.
I tried hitting DEL on start up but it asks for a password.
As far as I know there never has been a BIOS password unless it was put in by Acer or the seller.
The chances of finding it out are zero
Its a P4 from Acer running XP SP2
Can anyone advise?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
mossgrove
Grafter

Re: Locked out of computer

Try pressing F12 during initial startup.  Under a lot of systems that will open a one time boot menu (for this start up only).  You can then select CD as the boot device.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

IF there has been a BIOS p/w set there is sometimes a dip switch inside you can change to remove it, have a look in the manual for the m/b.
juliasdream
Grafter

I got past the password problem by removing the battery and replacing it
so I was able to change the boot order and boot from CD
But now I have a new problem
I chose Repair option from the CD and now it's asking for the Administrator password
Another one I don't have
Can anyone help with that one?
Thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Go <a href="http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/">HERE</a> and d/l the bootdisk and burn to a cd and boot from it, the choose change password from the menu.
Beware it is a WHOLE 3Mb in size  Grin
It will also go on to a usb stick if you can boot from one of them.
BUT if you have use encryption - No-Chance  Sad
Toolbox
Grafter

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
EDIT:
Hairy Biker beat me to it.
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Go <a href="http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/">HERE</a> and d/l the bootdisk and burn to a cd and boot from it, the choose change password from the menu.
Beware it is a WHOLE 3Mb in size  Grin
It will also go on to a usb stick if you can boot from one of them.
BUT if you have use encryption - No-Chance   Sad

Thanks, I tried it
I don't know if I was doing something wrong but it only appears to be good for changing windows passwords
The password I am having problems with comes up when I run Repair from the oem disk.
I dont think its the same as windows log in passwords. Those are all blank and show as blank when i run pogostick
juliasdream
Grafter

Oops, I think I cracked it.
instead of typing R for repair at the first stage I selected setup instead. There was another option for repair at the second stage and that appears to be working.
Thanks to all of you for helping
Lurker
Grafter

It sounds like you are being prompted for a Windows Recovery Manager Password.
If you go for a new install - when you get to the section asking where to install, it should prompt you with an option to correct any errors in the current installation.
EDIT: Cross posted... Grin
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
It sounds like you are being prompted for a Windows Recovery Manager Password.
If you go for a new install - when you get to the section asking where to install, it should prompt you with an option to correct any errors in the current installation.
EDIT: Cross posted... Grin

I thought I had it cracked
The recovery program ran. It removed some files then went on to ask for the license key. I thought everything was ok but now whenever windows tries to start the screen goes all wiggly like a badly tuned analogue TV
I cant get anywhere beyond it.
Screen was ok up to then so I doubt if its the graphics
I took out the hd and looked at it using a caddy and all the files and folders are still there
Could it be a virus?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

At this point I would be removing from it what you want to keep, and wiping it.
Then installing a nice shiny new Mint install  Cheesy Or if you must re-install XP but wipe it first using a disk nuke program.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Juliasdream, you seem to have more weird computer problems that everybody else put together; do you moonlight as an (inexperienced) computer repair person???
If I had seen this thread in time I would have warned you that a Repair install was not the way to go, you should have used the procedure given here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 .  Now the Repair install will have obliterated all your old System Restore points so it's too late for this.
The best thing now is to back up all the user data to another computer (and I know you have/had lots of other computers) then start again with a fresh re-install of Windows.
Edit:  Oh I should have mentioned then when you get corrupt files you should always bear in mind the possibility that the hard drive is failing.  So now perhaps a graphics file has become corrupt, hence your current problems. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Or Malware?  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes, it could have been malware and malware will often survive a repair re-install but malware doesn't usually try to mess with the graphics output because you're just going to switch off your computer if that happens.  Anyway the complete re-install that Juliasdream is now forced to do will get rid of any malware.