cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock pdf file?

Mav
Fixes: 515

Lock pdf file?

I have several editable pdf files (forms) that I have downloaded, completed and sent off.
I keep copies for my records but want to be able to prevent each file from being altered. I haven't found an option in pdf Reader or pdf XChange Viewer and can't afford Adobe Acrobat.
Does anyone have a possible solution to this, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Lock pdf file?

Something that would convert a pdf file to a jpeg perhaps?
One or two in Google!
Or, set the pdf to Read Only in its Properties.
Geoff,
York.
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

In PDF X-Change Editor (which is v3 of PDF X-change viewer), there is File -> Document Properties, and there you can set password security to restrict opening or editing the file.
Mav

Thanks for the replies...
@NedLudd Thanks for the suggestion but I do prefer to keep as a pdf file. Couldn't see any options within Acrobat Reader or XChange Viewer to set to Read Only.
@gtowen I saw that when I did a search - just wondered if anyone had any other ideas
@ejs I didn't realise there was another version available. Have downloaded it to try. Didn't really want to password protect as it would still be editable. No-one else will have access to the files but accidents can happen and I have made changes I didn't necessarily want to in error then save them before so just wanted to avoid that happening again. All in all it's not worth too much effort in solving and I can easily save the password in the filename if I go that route.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

NedLudd
Grafter

Mav, you set the Read Only attribute in the Properties for the filename! i.e. locate the file with Filemanager and right click on it, select Properties and Bob's yer uncle!
Geoff,
York.
Mav

Doh Cheesy
Obvious now it's been pointed out. Thanks - that should be enough for my purposes.

NedLudd
Grafter

A 'Senior Moment' perhaps!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Mav

One of many today Embarrassed

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Setting it "Read Only" in Properties doesn't "prevent" the file from being changed, merely mitigates.
I certainly had thought you were referring to stopping someone altering it intentionally not unintentionally as now seems to be the case.
Another way - somewhat perverse I must admit but it'll work - is to change it to a jpg, then printing the jpg as a pdf file. You then get a pdf file that cannot readily be altered since it contains a graphic image not text. Quality will suffer though.
Mav

@drj But at least it will prompt me to cancel any changes if there had been any.
Your last suggestion wouldn't be worth the effort but worth bearing in mind.