cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local area connection slow on startup

delphaeus

Local area connection slow on startup

Whenever WinXP Pro starts up, my local area connection icon takes at least a couple of minutes (or longer) to show up and during this time I cannot connect to the internet or start Outlook.
I was hoping somebody could explain to me why this happens and if there's any solution?. I tried searching the internet and it seems that the acronym DHCP pops up quite often, but I am not sure what this is.
I have a BT Voyager 2110 router which is wired via ethernet to the PC (Not using the wireless at the moment).
Any help would be much appreciated!
Many thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Local area connection slow on startup

DHCP or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a system for allocating IP addresses and other settings on a network.
Basically you have a DHCP server on the network (your router for example) which hands out an IP address to your PC so that the two can talk to each other.
I am not familiar with the BT voyager router but I belive it to have a built in DHCP Server. Have you enabled this.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
samuria
Grafter

Re: Local area connection slow on startup

Even with DHCP it should be nearly instant as you will just renew your last details.
If it takes longer then your pc is trying to find something thats not there and it trys for ages. This could be a network printer or share that you didn't disconnect from. It could all so be Av trying to update or some other software trying for an update that is running at startup. Use msconfig to see what you have running at startup