cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Hoost what's with Windows vs MVPS Hosts file?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Local Hoost what's with Windows vs MVPS Hosts file?

I've  been recommended to change to MVPs Hosts file, but having examined the existing one that came with the rations, it seems to have plenty suspicious sites caught already. What is specila about MVP's version?
If I do change I presume the existing entries will be lost, Am I right?
Also I use Thunderbird and receive any hotmail via it's web mail extension, which uses local host. Will I get problems there?
You will have seen I am not that adept, so be kind , if I have misunderstood anything
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: Local Hoost what's with Windows vs MVPS Hosts file?

Copy you current host file so you have a backup which is normally C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. and then put the new one in its place then if you get any problems you can copy yours back. Look to see what is in yours as you can add it to the file if you have some personnel data.
Put simply the HOST file is a text file that has a list of known IP address and windows looks in this file first in stead of going to a dns server which make sit a lot quicker. Normally you type www.u-net.com your pc asks the dns for the ip address gets a reply and then it goes to the site. but if you put in you host file
194.119.131.66 u-net.com
then it wont ask but use that address.
The MVPS is a massive file with a lot of know bad sites so when you try and visit one its blocked as they put in a false address so the bad site cant be reached. A lot of virus malware use the file so if you put in the address of your bank it send you to a false site to steal your details.

It shouldn't stop any  legitimate sites so you dont need to worry if it did you can delete the file or copy your old one back
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: samuria

A lot of virus malware use the file so if you put in the address of your bank it send you to a false site to steal your details.
Sorryl in the context of  samuria's reply I do not understand. It seems to be saying that malware uses MVPS. At least it does at06:25 hrs. Undecided Wink
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
samuria
Grafter

A lot of malware uses the host file sorry for not making that clear but the MVPS. is a text file for the host which can of coarse be modified by malware. Use winpatrol from http://www.winpatrol.com/ this monitors the host file to stop any changes as well as stopping and change to startup
Luzern
Hero

@ samuria Thanks for clarification Smiley
Luzern
Hero

ELLLLP!
I have tried to install the MVPS file but have cone across a problem, I am asked for a password ( see attachment). I am sole user of my cptr (XP Home Sp3) and as such have full administrator privileges and log on to windows without  password input. sSo if that is what's required how do I get round the snag
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You must have some software installed which is protecting manual changes to the hosts file by requiring a password to 'unlock' it..
Check your firewall or anti-virus software for anything related to protecting the hosts file and you can probably disable the password protection.
Luzern
Hero

Hi Peter V.
After I'd written I found that a work round is to paste the zip file into temp. For some reason not understood by me it extracts from there but not the desk top.
The old file is given a new extension .mvp. Am not clear if it still remains active though.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

if you mean the hosts file is renamed hosts.mvp then it will no longer be active.