cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little trouble with browser connections

Mav
Fixes: 514

Little trouble with browser connections

I'm have been using IE7 (all the latest security updates, etc) for ages without problems.
A few days agao I noticed that if I opened a new browser window often the two Home pages I have set (PN's Member Centre & Google.com) take an inordanately long time to load if at all. Meanwhile the previously opened browsers work just fine.
I close the new browser and re-open and can get the same results several times (green bar at the bottom seems to hold on two sections) before, finally, I get a connection. This is frustrating but can't fathom why this suddenly started happening.
I run XP Home SP3 along with Ad-Aware, SpyBot S & D, AVG Free 8,0 and Malwarebytes - all with the latest updates installed. I can't remember making any changes recently that could have the above effect. Anyway, why would it connect sometimes and not others?
Oh, I don't have Link Scanner enabled in AVG.
Does anyone have any ideas to offer, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Little trouble with browser connections

Do you have the Microsoft anti-phising switched on in the browser? That can slow things down quite a bit.
There is an icon in the status bar to the right which should tell you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi
It sounds to me as if one of your add-ins is playing up. Try loading IE7 without and add-ins loaded:
start -> all programs -> accessories -> system tools -> internet explorer (no add-ins)
If it loads immediately then its probably an add-in.
You then need to start IE7 normally and disable each add-in in turn to see which one it is.
If you need help disabling add-on then shout up
Jeff
Mav

@ adiewoo
I've always had the anti-phishing on and never noticed any major impact on my browsing.
But that wouldn't explain why sometimes it slow or even impossible to connect to my Home pages and others it's OK.
BTW, PN's site has been slow to load for some time now but never this slow (think this has been covered in another topic somewhere). Google has always been exceptionally fast.
@minkey
No difference in performance with or without add-ons turned off. Sometimes connected, sometimes not Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How have you got your DNS settings configured on your PC - automatic or have you set them explicitly?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

I have a static IP and set the DNS explicitly.
Currently set at:
Preferred DNS: 212.159.13.150
Alternate DNS: 212.159.11.150
But I have just looked at the Connections section of the Member Centre where DNS is:
Primary DNS Server  212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server  212.159.13.50
Not sure when these changed as I have had the first set configured for many years as originally listed in the Member Centre.
I have changed them but, again, without any difference to my issue above Sad
Edit: Just looked at the settings in my Router (THOMSON TG585 v7):
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.10
I note that 212.159.6.9 is listed in the Member Centre as 'Optional tertiary DNS server'.
I also have the Default Gateway in Internet Protocol set to 192.168.1.254 but the default gateway in the router is set differently. Should the Default Gateway in Internet Protocol Properties be set the same as the router's?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mav

Blimey, they're a blast from the past! They are the DNS servers to be used for dialup - you should have switched to the new DNS servers when you changed over to broadband.
I also have the Default Gateway in Internet Protocol set to 192.168.1.254 but the default gateway in the router is set differently. Should the Default Gateway in Internet Protocol Properties be set the same as the router's?

The default gateway on your PC's should point to your router so if your router is 192.168.1.254 that is correct.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Quote from: jelv

Blimey, they're a blast from the past! They are the DNS servers to be used for dialup - you should have switched to the new DNS servers when you changed over to broadband.

I've had broadband since Nov' 2002 - been with PN all the way.
Back then I had practically no knowledge of BB at all and just never thought of checking those settings since - till now Wink
Anyway, it's always worked so I had no reason to check them.
Original problem persists, though Sad

samuria
Grafter

Is the slow speed only on sites running php.java etc? Ie the page instead of being index.htm would be index.php or index.asp. If that is the case it could be the Av etc scanning the code before it will let it load. You say you have Ad-Aware, SpyBot S & D, AVG Free 8,0 and Malwarebytes  if they are all running in memory that would be the problem as they would have a competition to read code.
Some of these have code that can run all the time if they are running at startup stop all apart from AV and try then try disabling AV temp to see if thats the problem
Mav

AVG is the only program constantly running. I fire up the others every few days to update and perform scans.
I think you may be misunderstanding what's happening here;
I don't have problems with slow sites per se just frequently (but not everytime) when I fire up a new browser (IE7) window. The two Home pages just fail to load. Changing these to other pages doesn't make a difference.
Previously opened browser windows still work fine including loading those pages that are failing to load in a new window.
I hope that's made it a little clearer - I just can't fathom why this should happen.

Denzil
Grafter

It could be a DNS cache issue. Have you tried this?
Start - Run, type ipconfig /flushdns
Mav

Didn't think, under the circumstances, that flushing the DNS would work. Tried it anyway and no difference.

samuria
Grafter

Things like adaware have the scanner running as a service. If you set the home page as a htm file on your pc do you still have a problem this would be a good test to see if its network related or something else. You can always save a page from a website and then set it as your home page
Mav

Isn't Google.com an htm page?
Anyway, I tried using just http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm as the home page with the same result as previous Sad

samuria
Grafter

Your missing the point you need a htm page on your hard drive to test as this should rule out the network. If you use any home page on the net then it could be network issue. If its local and it works ok then there is a problem with networking of some sort