Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux...

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Linux...

Well I'm finally in a position to install linux onto a 24/7 server which was completed today. I say completed... it still has some drive bays that need filling, IDE ATA expansion cards that need purchasing etc but its alive.
Anyway, I need a good version of linux which can satisfy both desktop and server use, run VMware for linux, support as much hardware as possible (including PCI winmodems) and can give me remote access via VNC without needing to logon first as console. The modem and VNC issues are very important to me. I've suffered with Suse before where I could access via VNC but ONLY if there was someone who had logged on locally. It would only view that accounts desktop and wouldn't allow me to log in as an individual user. I basically need it to work like XPs remote desktop. Seeing as this will be the hub of my network being my main server, I'd also like it to support a PCI Lucent winmodem too. This is obviously for backup should ADSL go down.
Can anyone recommend anything that suits the above and is easy to install?
I've played with Suse in the past and knoppix. Suse was ok but didn't keep me impressed for long. Knoppix.... wonderful if it would save its configuration to the HDD and reload it the next time which of course it doesn't! Knoppix seems to have everything you could need where as Suse had nothing except the bare OS. Trying to install things via YAST was a pain.
I also have one other pre-requisite: It needs to support USB and preferably a Lexmark P4350 all in one printer...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
13 REPLIES 13
artificer
Grafter

Re: Linux...

you might find this one will suit:
http://www.pclosbe.org/
it was especially designed, based on pclinuxos, for server and webmin use.  you'll find more info at mypclinuxos.com.
7up
Community Veteran

I forgot to mention I only have one KB, mouse, monitor on my main PC which is why its important to be able to login remotely like XP's RD..
artificer
Grafter

you can use ssh for that.  visit the forum and see what they have to say about it.  ask questions and get answers before you start so that you have some idea of what is possible.
7up
Community Veteran

I thought SSH was only for telnet type access! I didn't realise you could use it for other stuff! I'll have to look into that...
artificer
Grafter

i've never run a server myself, but, from my reading, you can run a 'headless' box and get into it via ssh, which is more secure than telnet, to perform maintenance and other activities.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I would recommend either CentOS (Free version of RedHat Enterprise Linux) or Ubuntu*. For your base operating system.
And plenty of RAM as you will be running VMWare.
For remote access http://www.nomachine.com/ will provide two user remote access as you are looking for free.
As for the Winmodem, dump it and buy yourself a proper serial modem off ebay, there as "cheap as chips" and don't use CPU resources.
* edit, I have only run VMWare on CentOS
chillypenguin
Grafter

This page may also be of interest;
http://www.chillypenguin.org/vmware/vmware.htm
Its been dismantled now as I have moved to an external host.
Chilly
PS Memory, Memory, Memory
7up
Community Veteran

That site has soem good info chilly, but I CAN run multiple vmware players at the same time Wink
It is a bit of a memory hog but it can be done!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Use VMWare Server, not the player version.
As for the memory; IMHO VMWare server itself very good on memory, the issue being that each Virtual Machine must have dedicated memory.
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah I know about the dedicated memory issue for each VM - I created all my VMs myself Wink
I did try the VMServer but I must of been the only person to find that the mouse was rather jerky and slow to respond. I gave up with it, uninstalled and went back to the player. Admittedly the player is also a bit sluggish (yet my system is fairly modern) but I login to my VMs remotely so I avoid the player screen Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am not sure that server is really intended for interactive use, I used remote tools such as RDC or NX and never had any issues. But remember to install VMTools.
7up
Community Veteran

Right that would make more sense. I've never liked VMs interactive screen on their player or server products. I guess RDP would solve the problem with VMServer like it does player. I'll give it a bash on the new box sometime.
I took a look at the NX program. It seems that it creates a virtual session on the remote machine not a real one. What I need is to be able to login to a 'proper' desktop with username and password in the same way as RD on XP. Most VNC solutions rely on a user already being logged in and only offer password authentication. I really need something like RD but for linux. So far I'm drawing blanks.
Any other ideas?
chillypenguin
Grafter

Give NX (nomachine) a try, I am sure its what you are looking for. For the server installation you need; Client, Node and Server. And I believe that is the correct  installation order.
And there is a window client.