Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux security

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Linux security

The sad fact is that dev's don't like writing manuals, they like writing code

Smiley I understand that, but if they want people to use the software they have spent time building doing a little manual about it's basic features wouldn't go a miss. The last few things I have installed had nothing, I had to click every button just to work out what they did  Grin Getting linux software seems a bit like flat pack, there are some instruction but they don't make sense. It's easier to just put it together and see what happens.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have you tried the help function (if available) or man <package name> in a terminal ?
The other problem is most people don't read the manual even if you produce one  Grin Online forums are the usual way things are supported now, wiki's and html help  Cry
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Or do as I usually do, come in here someone always knows  Wink
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Linux generally has a better security model and it's users are often better informed, however it is just as vulnerable to many of the techniques malware use to infect or subvert a system.  One of the principal reasons you see so little/no user malware on Linux is simply due to the size of the installed base.  People who write this stuff are financially motivated these days (e.g. swiping card details, personal info) and they will do the most efficient amount of work to get the biggest payoff.
There are *lots* of exploits and vulnerabilities out there for Linux, but you generally only come across them if you have an internet- facing server that isn't behind a NAT.  For this you should run at a bare minimum iptables, stay current in your software and kernel, very carefully tune your configuration of the software that is installed, use minimal versions of the daemons you need to run and also have something like rkhunter running in the background that will alert you to files that have been tampered with.
In terms of MacOS, these are on the rise and are often bundled with illegal downloads of popular software - most Mac users don't run antivirus and these can be running in the background happily stealing details and who knows what else.
Gricey
linux
Grafter

The Register are reporting the 'FIRST ever' Linux, Mac OS X-only password sniffing Trojan spotted.
Not much detail is provided, alas.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I saw that as you said no real info, and it was spotted by an av firm, now who wants to guess that they will be punting an av for Linux soon if not already  Angry
Cynical maybe but it makes you think  Undecided
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

This reminds me of a post not so long ago about a Mac virus that was also reported by an AV firm. I see it as a good sign, it means AV companies are sniffing a market.  Roll_eyes Surprised these days of how many big software companies forums have people asking when they will make a version for linux.