cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux on desktops? You must be bonkers...

Waldo
Grafter

Re: Linux on desktops? You must be bonkers...

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: Waldo
. Linux on the desktop has advanced considerably in recent years, I'm not sure that someone buying a PC for the first time with Linux pre-installed would find it so much more difficult than Windows when something goes awry.

Presumably that would depend on the distribution Waldo. I recently loaded Ubuntu onto a laptop and had problems with the Wi-Fi.
I took it off and loaded XP and the wireless worked faultlessly.

If there's no native Linux support for the device I don't think it's going to work 'out of the box' on any distro. If drivers for it have found their way into the latest kernel, or it can be made to work by other means (using the Windows drivers with NdisWrapper for example), some distros will make the post-installation steps required easier than others. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The only problem is that those who have acquired the Windoze habits have to unlearn a lot of stuff.
Apart from a very few applications, I just load a package from a secure site - and it works.
I don't need to keep up todate with viruses and discuss which virus checker is best etc...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

it takes no effort to unlearn windows habits.  i was asked to fix a friend's windows machine recently and i made her laugh by constantly bleating 'only one measly desktop.'  it was hard work having to remember what i used to do.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the auto update also works on the Asus Eeepc 701 4g linux (sometimes)

just gone into the ad remove section - settings tab and intalled a wi fi update - now I am connected with WAP, got lot of other update and new instalsl, plus a bios update only one update of the desktop balked, me a happier chappy Smiley Smiley Smiley

i