Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

The problem with v2 is that the grub.cfg file isn't user editable any more (well it is but any changes are lost on an update) thats why I said use startup-manager.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I love Linux mint nine however I am stuck using my windows seven which Is no problem but I really want to get into mint, My problem with mint is and this Is on a fresh Install several times Is that If I type In the address bar I am randomly logged out of session which Is no use when you're In the middle of something, It's not my keyboard at fault as It works fine under windows 7, I do not know If It's a Firefox issue In mint or what the hell It Is but Its upset me cos I like Mint nine  Cry
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

My old laptop has found a new lease of life and so far with the help of the people in here and wine(The app not the beverage) I haven't had to go near codes which is mine and everybody else's pet hate it would appear.

Just out of interest (and being nosy), what are you managing to use via Wine? Am interested 'cos the only thing I am running with it is Spotify.
Steve - 'tis a weird problem but does it occur with Ubuntu?  Might be worth trying it via Wubi just to see.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you seen that "Spotify for Linux" is coming http://www.spotify.com/uk/download/previews/
and have you seen the "Spotify in Wine" walk-through on Ubuntu http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/wine/
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Steve
the address bar I am randomly logged out of session which Is no use when you're In the middle of something, It's not my keyboard at fault as It works fine under windows 7, I do not know If It's a Firefox issue In mint or what the hell It Is but Its upset me cos I like Mint nine  Cry

If it only happens in FF try Chrome and see if you get the same fault, that would say if it is a Mint issue or a FF issue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Poppy and hairy biker will be testing mint out again soon and will try both your suggestions.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Golightly
The rest of my family insist on using Windows and this brings me to my only complaint the boot manager (grub 2) is the worst Linux software. For the benefit of the rest of the family I have to keep resetting it to point to Windows and there are very few commands that can be easily edited.

$ cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep Debian
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.35.3-aspireone" {
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.35.3-aspireone (single-user mode)" {
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.34-final" {
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.34-final (single-user mode)" {
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.30-bpo.1-686" {
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.30-bpo.1-686 (single-user mode)" {

For a multiple-kernel system (the closest I have to dual-boot) I can set the default by editing /etc/default/grub to read:
GRUB_DEFAULT="Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.30-bpo.1-686"
That should work for choosing a Windows install as default.

$ ls -l /etc/grub.d
total 28
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1897 2009-02-11 01:20 00_header
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1143 2008-11-10 15:19 05_debian_theme
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4050 2009-02-11 01:20 10_linux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2567 2009-02-11 01:20 30_os-prober
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  84 2009-02-11 01:20 40_custom

Alternatively, the order in which an OS appears in the boot menu depends on the numerical value of its script in /etc/grub.d.
Assuming Windows is configured from the 30_os-prober script it will always be listed after Linux (which uses the 10_linux script).
If you have another OS using the 40_custom script it will appear in the boot menu after Linux and Windows.
You could try renaming 30_os-prober as 09_os-prober thus making Windows the first (and default) OS, but I'm not sure that newer GRUB2 versions wouldn't overwrite it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Alternatively, you could use the Windows boot loader...<spit>
If it is still boot.ini you could add a file in /boot/grub which is 512 bytes long and an exact copy of your current MBR.
You can do this (with extreme caution!) with the dd command.
Finally you would need to run the fdisk /fixmbr from the Windows command line.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."