Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

It's just it's such a complete change from the way people are used to doing things it can take a while to get used to. Once you approach it from the right mindset though it's amazing.

This could easily apply to several situations.......
1. Fixed wing pilot moving over tot rotary wing (helo`s)
2. Steam engine driver. moving over to diesel or electric trains
3, pedal cyclist changing to motor bike
4. small child changing from crawling to walking unaided.....
all of the above do not come naturally, ..... they ALL need some sort of assistance, either re-training or personal "one on one" assistance, to get round the problems.... therefore the following is a bit "trite" to say the least...

Once you approach it from the right mindset though it's amazing.

How does a basic compuer literate person find out the "right mindset" to approach it from in the first place?    Undecided
Just saying to a Fixed Wing pilot....." you can fly.... fly that helicopter "  will not give him/her the "right mindset"  ...... even if it is "amazing" ! !  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OR Normal camera to Digital one. You have to "forget" the "proper" way moving to the way of the 10000's of photos on this card way  Grin
I use both, so am not biased but prefer the repository way, then when an app is up-dated/graded I get it automatically, I don't have to go looking for an update to it. But also if you choose the "wrong" repository (like the bleeding edge one) then your system can be a bit temperamental (a bit like windows  ;D)
These days the need to compile an application is either because :-
a. it is the latest and contains a fix for a bug you are experiencing
b. not available on your architecture (e..g 32bit only, so need to compile for 64 bit, try that on M$) 
c. only available as source code (maybe in the repository if you check though  Embarrassed (been there done that, checlinstall is a good example)
But what I think Bob is getting at is go to synaptic FIRST not goggle.  Wink
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

But what I think Bob is getting at is go to synaptic FIRST not goggle.

The issue I have with synaptic for an in-experienced user is that for instance if I search there for Java there comes up with numerous file names with containing the word and a very brief description of the file which doesn't really give any clues.
Waldo
Grafter

Perhaps it's not as obvious as it seem (to me) to scroll down to 'World Wide Web' in the left-hand pane of Synaptic and enter 'plugin' in the quick search box at the top... 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

To be quite honest, not many sites use Java these days (apart from speed tester sites).
It's gotten too clunky.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
The issue I have with synaptic for an in-experienced user is that for instance if I search there for Java there comes up with numerous file names with containing the word and a very brief description of the file which doesn't really give any clues.

Well I think that is what the Software Center is aimed at now. On Mint we have had it for the past year or so but it is now coming to Ubuntu.
Here is my one looking for java
VileReynard
Hero

However, Ubuntu is ahead of Mint Cheesy

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ahead? It has been in Mint since version 7 I think.
VileReynard
Hero

The Mint screen appears to have loads of matches for java.
The Ubuntu one has 9 entries for java in the internet category.
I rest my case. Grin

HairyMcbiker
All Star

The Mint one is more mature so has more entries in it  Grin
Also it has REVIEWS which appears to be missing from the U one.
But in both cases the one he waned is right at the TOP of the list.
Santiago
Grafter

Now now boys, steady on
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Grin They love it. As it happens I'm back in love with Ubuntu 10.04 at the minute. I have seen the error of my ways and everything is running sweet as.
I'm even thinking of putting a post up with all the school boy errors I made when switching over while they're still fresh in my mind, before I start speaking gobbledygook like all the other Linux users  Grin May be of some use to the newer users.
My first tip being to open your mind and try to forget all you learned with MS products. It is a hassle/interesting depending how frustrated you are but once you get a basic grasp of what's what you definitely see the advantages of using the operating system.
My old laptop has found a new lease of life and so far with the help of the people in here and wine(The app not the beverage) I haven't had to go near codes which is mine and everybody else's pet hate it would appear. In fact staying away from it until you've had a good look round what else is on offer is probably the best way of not falling out with this software early on.
Golightly

I have been using Linux (Ubuntu) for 9 months now and love it. There is a learning curve but in general it installed everything I needed without a hitch and, unlike Windows, has been stable ever since.
The rest of my family insist on using Windows and this brings me to my only complaint the boot manager (grub 2) is the worst Linux software. For the benefit of the rest of the family I have to keep resetting it to point to Windows and there are very few commands that can be easily edited.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Try installing burg as the boot manager, gives a nice iconic screen rather than the text one of grub.
Not sure if it is in the repo's yet but a search for ubuntu burg should find it. Also look at startup-manager to edit the default selection.
VileReynard
Hero

GRUB (well version 1) can easily be set to point to boot to any default system.
Presumably this hasn't been lost in version 2?