HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

Look <a href="http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm">here</a>
A look at the differences.
Quote I particularly liked
Problem #5: The myth of "user-friendly"
This is a big one. It's a very big term in the computing world, "user-friendly". It's even the name of a particularly good webcomic. But it's a bad term.
The basic concept is good: That software be designed with the needs of the user in mind. But it's always addressed as a single concept, which it isn't.
If you spend your entire life processing text files, your ideal software will be fast and powerful, enabling you to do the maximum amount of work for the minimum amount of effort. Simple keyboard shortcuts and mouseless operation will be of vital importance.
But if you very rarely edit text files, and you just want to write an occasional letter, the last thing you want is to struggle with learning keyboard shortcuts. Well-organized menus and clear icons in toolbars will be your ideal.
Clearly, software designed around the needs of the first user will not be suitable for the second, and vice versa. So how can any software be called "user-friendly", if we all have different needs?
The simple answer: User-friendly is a misnomer, and one that makes a complex situation seem simple.
What does "user-friendly" really mean? Well, in the context in which it is used, "user friendly" software means "Software that can be used to a reasonable level of competence by a user with no previous experience of the software." This has the unfortunate effect of making lousy-but-familiar interfaces fall into the category of "user-friendly".

Its quite old 06, but still relevant.
52 REPLIES 52
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Linux in NOT WIndows - external site

[me=adiewoo]wonders when people will find a different drum to bang[/me]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux in NOT WIndows - external site

Hey I am only trying to HELP people understand the difference here.  Cry
I am not saying which is better, even though I know  Roll_eyes
@adiewoo did you even bother to look before you beat YOUR drum?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Linux is NOT WIndows - external site

@ HB... I understand what you are saying !  Roll_eyes  .... the term "user friendly" , usually, means that you (or anyone with a "little" computer knowledge), can download the program he/she wants to use, and it, the program, does all the necessary installing, (via a wizzard, or by it`s own program scripts)  right up to the point of opening the program for the first time....
as opposed to having to use separate "terminal" commands etc., that only the specially educated geeks know,............to get a program running...
once a program is installed, be it for writing a letter or adjusting photographs, making graphics, or adapting music files, then it is up to the "program writer" to make it as easy as possible for "outsiders"  (his potential users) to use...  (as in the case of most windows programs).....
So it is really a two pronged attack on Linux in general.... The basic idea is simple, an alternative OS to windows.... but that is where the simplicity (from the new users point of view, ends)... there are several basic requirements which a new user needs to have already installed, and ready for use......  some of those are left out of the basic Linux install, and have to be "added" to ensure a base starting point for all the rest of the OS to work. Unfortunately, the bits that get left out, do not have any instructions as to how to get them, and then install them,... it is left up to the "new user", to get on forums, (daunting to some....) to ask for help....  here starts the "non user friendly" part of Linux.... 
the second prong, is as I have already said, about actually getting the programs, the Linux directory names, for instance... and then the actual install methods , are not the easiest to follow....
Downloading, and making a live CD is really quite easy.....
Running the program from the CD is really quite easy.....
installing the OS from the CD is really quite easy.....
(end of user friendly)
Getting your wireless to work.... if no wireless driver (Broadcom) is installed, is a nightmare.... It is already to use in Windows, when you go to "connect to network".... (yes I know SOME linux distros have it... but why not ALL ?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well I Bang along to shutters drum!! Agree with everything he has said, I think Linux And its users are trying to take over the world!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Oh Come on Steve.!.... I`m only banging on, because I would like it to be more user friendly,.... so I can use it.!....
I am not running it down as against windows..... I mean,,.... If Linux want to be considered as an "alternative" to windows, then it must be an alternative, (not part of an alternative) and be able to do the same job as windows...

analogy.... take any journey you care to name,  there are "alternative ways" of travel..... go by car...... easy peasy..... door to door service.... (windows)
go by bus, train, plane, narrowboat, ocean going vessel,..... (alternatives)  not so easy.... got to get to the start point,  (download the linux cd) wait for the bus (etc)  get it installed.... then when you have "almost" arrived, you have to organise further transport to your eventual destination..... (get your additional progs to download, install, and work,)  (most linux systems). before you are "home and dry".!
So, the car is User friendly. and the alternatives, give you timetables and routes, etc. which is a lot more hard work....
However, there are advantages in using the alternative, usually cost effectiveness comes into the equation...  Linux is free, and windows costs... (national express is cheaper per mile, for long distance, than a car,....however it takes longer to get there).... so it is a trade off between the two systems....
Unfortunately, Linux isn`t yet ready for the title of "alternative OS " to windows , in the strict sense of the words.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
Oh Come on Steve.!.... I`m only banging on, because I would like it to be more user friendly,.... so I can use it.!....
Same here  Cheesy Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How many people use the Windows command line?
Very few - they have to get someone to do it for them! Cheesy
I can use the command line on Linux (ever tried pasting into a Windows command line?) - but don't do very often.
If I want to automate some process, it might be necessary, but otherwise I just use a better GUI. Cheesy
Just to illustrate....

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: A
How many people use the Windows command line?

Exactly... !
... what do you NEED to use the command line in windows for?
VileReynard
Hero

ipconfig /all Cheesy
patch the registry
Repairing lost program associations

shutter
Community Veteran

20 years on.... never done any of that.... just re-installed the program , or done a reg clean ... sorted.! Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero

I have.
<spit> Cheesy

Steve
Seasoned Pro

" sudo apt-get install"  a system that flipping works!!
" password"
" sudo apt-get update"
" password"
VileReynard
Hero

I mostly use the GUI for the previous two functions. Cheesy

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well for my experience Ive had to use the command line a lot for linux and thats just for getting the system how i want it, And to me when I first began I did not even have a scooby about who  this Sudo or Root were Cheesy