cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux in education

Not applicable

Linux in education

Just been reading THIS about over a million UK kids having no access to a computer and the internet at home.  Happily, within the article a prominent link to a piece on Linux in education  which I thought people here might find interesting.
I think that it is good to see such a prominent link to Linux and also a good and useful write-up.
8 REPLIES 8
Ellis
Grafter

Re: Linux in education

The Spanish Education Authorities are changing to Linux, the French National Assembly has already changed. The Gendarmerie is in the process of changing and Vladimir Putin has started moves to change the whole Russian Government IT to it.  We seem to be all behind (like the old cows tail) as usual.
If the Government really want to save money they could change over. With all the cuts they are making, should their salaries be cut by the same percentage?
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply Ellis. The Linux League are extraordinarily quiet of late - I do hope that they have not become closet Windows/Mac users!  Wink 
Yes, I too had read of governmental departments taking Microsoft out of their systems and converting to Linux.  I wish that my local authority would do the same - maybe a reduction in council tax would then be possible?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Having worked previously in a Council Education IT dept. You will find they are TIED to M$. Through the BECTA people - they decide and the rest follow. Sheep!
In Edinburgh there was/is a HIGH Mac %'age(60% of the Schools) and the rest were M$ tied through the Becta tie in. I believe there was an "opening" of the market over the past few years but M$ can afford to give away copies to educational establishments in a lock in agreement.
I think you will find that most of us Linux Leaguers are not involved in Education and so not in a position to make any comments.
I have read in some of the Linux mags letters from school techs to have managed to shoe horn in a Linux server or a lab of machines running from a Linux Terminal server - for free through donated machines etc  but there is a lot of apathy in the schools - wrt Linux - if its free it can't be any good  Shocked Angry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In Edinburgh there was/is a HIGH Mac %
  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

this is reminiscent of the reports that kids didn't have telly when i was at school.  oh how the poor little darlings will suffer.  what a huge disadvantage they're at.  whiney, whinge on my behalf.  don't bother.  from what i've read, children don't need to have a computer at home, just as i didn't need telly.  oh, it would have been nice, but in no way was it essential.
what was essential was that i could READ.  what proportion of computer owners attemding school can read fluently, spell correctly and use grammar competently.
don't bemoan my lack of a computer.  make sure i've decent shoes to wear and enough food to persuade my belly to quit rumbling in class.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

what proportion of computer owners attemding school can read fluently, spell correctly and use grammar competently.

Indeed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: A
In Edinburgh there was/is a HIGH Mac %
  Grin Grin Grin

Accidental pun  Embarrassed
Waldo
Grafter