cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux bloat?

Not applicable

Linux bloat?

Gimp is being removed from  Ubuntu to keep it slim so to speak. I agree with this as it is a bit tricky to use and probably not to everyone's taste. Also it can easily be installed from the repository.
Just wondered what else I would remove from the basic installation download and have come up with Open Office (Abi is perfectly sound for the average user IMO), Evolution, that Pidgin thingy and possibly games.
Any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Linux bloat?

Ok, I am a more 'advanced' user so to speak, but I have my own way of coping with bloat. Whenever I install one of my systems I use the bare bones network based install of debian. This gives me a system that works but no X or anything. I then work my way up from that, installing things as I need them. That way I have a very clean, lean system.
I know that's not really an option for everyone as it requires a little knowledge of apt and the command line, but it's my way of doing it. It's not as hard as it may sound, most of the time it's a case of:
apt-get install xserver-xorg fluxbox wdm links2 rxvt-unicode

Then you have a login prompt for a gui, with a basic browser that I can use to get the firefox binaries (iceweasel is soooo behind).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Depends on what you want to do OOB. For a lean mean setup try Dam Small Linux, at 50Mb for the image you aren't going to get much smaller and still have a working WM and FF, even has wireless drivers!
On my EEE I tend to remove OOO and install Abiword, as I don't need a full office suite on it, I still hang on to gimp and one of these days I may even use 1% of its power  Tongue I also remove evolution (as much as possible anyway, some items require the back end) and pidgin, but install ekiga so I can use voip on it.
As to games, being a Mint user there are none installed by default  :(, so I tend to add aisleriot so I can play solitare/freecell.
artificer
Grafter

heh, heh.  another freecell addict.  friend of mine introduced me to it and i now spend too much time playing it.
pclinuxos generally comes with enough to keep me happy after i've installed a few vital apps from synaptic.  this 2010 install is outstanding for apps oob, performance and looks.  i've had to install much less than usual.  i'm really enjoying the exploration of kde4, there's so much of it.  even so, there is no feeling of bloat.  i can still do things the way i did with kde3 while i tinker with what kde4 offers.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

On my work one I have only installed Ekiga softphone and at home qtorrent so I guess it pretty much comes with what I need. There is a few things in there I don't use but that's just me.
I need Gimp because of its ability to scale and measure off drawings, a lot of drawings get emailed to me usually PDF or DWG. On my windows system I have brava reader and dwg viewer both free. http://www.bravaviewer.com/reader.htm http://www.infograph.com/
Is there any Linux equivalent applications? They have the ability to print to scale & measure directly from the drawing. On gimp you can only take the measurement and then do the conversion i.e 1mm=50mm but on the other two windows apps I can calibrate the measurer and just take measurements straight from the drawing.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Try this <a href="http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/">one</a>
Don't use anything like it but that was from a quick google.
artificer
Grafter

the apps i know of that are used in design, along with gimp, are imagemagick, scribus, blender and kpaint.  there will be more that i've missed and you'll find that they do different things, for example, blender was used in the making of 'elephant' the movie.  i believe scribus is scalable.  there is also a cad app in the repo (pclinuxos).