Waldo
Grafter

Re: Linux Versions....Which one?

Or go back to Ubuntu  Smiley
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
I use Scribus for DTP, and one of the scripts stopped working. the latest version fixes it, but is not yet available for Ubuntu.

Have you tried the Scribus repositories?

$ apt-cache policy scribus
scribus:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 1.3.3.13.dfsg-1
 Version table:
    1.3.3.13.dfsg-1 0
       500 http://debian.scribus.net jaunty/main Packages
    1.3.3.12.dfsg-1ubuntu2 0
       500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo

Edit -> Preferences and on the Behaviour tab click 'Always open in browser windows'  to revert to the Ubuntu way. 

Now that's better - thank you!
I tried adding the Scribus repo, and added the GPG key as per their instructions, but it came back with some error about the key not being valid. I'll have another go at some point, but I needed to get the job done, so it seemed easier and quicker to use Fedora. Besides, it is always good occasionally to have a play with something new.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Well you don't actually need the gpg key - provided you have absolute and total trust in the website. Smiley
Alternatively, if you download the Fedora rpm package(s), you can install these into Ubuntu with the alien package.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Deleted and re-added the repos - but a search still only came up with the old version. Still, I found it with a manual search.
I have just downloaded a copy of Linux Mint to try out on the new PC Cheesy
Not applicable

I have just downloaded a copy of Linux Mint to try out on the new PC

You are braver than me Denzil - have you wiped Windows off the new PC?
I'm too mean - I reckon if I've paid for the OS I should use it.  Undecided
PS Do let us know what you think about Mint. Gave it a good trial but like Ubuntu best.   
Denzil
Grafter

One nice thing about <a href="http://www.cclonline.com/product-categories.asp?category_id=677">CCL</a> is that they give you the option of buying their own brand PCs without an OS. No Windows installed, and a hefty price saving  Cheesy I'll let you know how I get on with Mint.
Denzil
Grafter

First impressions of Mint 7 are very good. Easy to install, some useful and well thought out improvements on Ubuntu, on which it is based, media playback is there by default, so you can play MP3s or DVDs, or watch online videos straightaway. I might just stick with this for now.
VileReynard
Hero

Easy to install, ... media playback is there by default, so you can play MP3s or DVDs, or watch online videos straightaway....

Try Ubuntu first - AFAIK it can do everything Mint does...
I would suggest you give it a live disk (run from CD) trial first, so as not to interfere with your current OS.

Not applicable

Glad that you are getting on alright with Mint,  Denzil. I found it easier to install than Ubuntu but I don't know why because they are supposed to be similar.  Isn't the desktop lovely? Mind you, I'm quite taken with the colour green. I think that it would be nice with the panel at the top (can't remember if you can do that) and the Awn Manager at the bottom - sort of Mac-like.
Today I put Ubuntu on my new partition and the stupid thing installed itself on a tiny bit of space within the full allocated 30GB partition instead of using the whole lot.  I don't know what went wrong because I followed instructions.
It didn't even offer me the same configuration options for swap that Mint did.
Mind you, I did go for the side-by-side install so maybe I should have chosen advanced.
I had to fix the MBR, delete the installation and restore the correct partition arrangement.  I've put Wubi on for the time being but may have another go with the advanced install, unless I go for Mint again.
Only trouble I had last time was the 'could not grab mouse' bug with the package manager so might burn another disc first.
VileReynard
Hero

If you ask Ubuntu to do a simple install it will ask you virtually no questions.
If you say custom, then you get to choose the sizes (and types) of your partitions and filesystems - including /home
You also get to say where it is to boot from (MBR or partition boot record).
I always say custom to all software - you see what's happening, even if you just keep pressing the "default" button.

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Easy to install, ... media playback is there by default, so you can play MP3s or DVDs, or watch online videos straightaway....

Try Ubuntu first - AFAIK it can do everything Mint does...
I would suggest you give it a live disk (run from CD) trial first, so as not to interfere with your current OS.

I have been running Ubuntu for about three years! Like I said, the new PC came without an OS, so nothing there to interfere with :).  I would put it the other way round - Mint does everything Ubuntu does (it is based on Ubuntu, after all) and a bit more.
@poppy, you can move the menu to the top if you want to. Right click on a blank bit of the toolbar, click Properties, then set the Orientation to Top. You can easily install AWN (Avant Window Navigator) if you want. Go to Menu, Package Manager and type Avant in the search box. The one to tick is avant-window-navigator.
Loombucket
Grafter

Marcus:  I went the same route as you a couple of years ago - tried Ubuntu first, was recommended PCLinuxOS, tried it and liked it, went back to Ubuntu when a later version came out, but finally settled on Linux Mint - here's why...
Ubuntu is as near to an "industry standard" as you're likely to get - it's the most widely known and supported as far as I can see - and Linux Mint is a Ubuntu-based distro which to me seems sensible to stick to.  I find Linux Mint more comprehensive and more logically laid out than Ubuntu and I'm generally more comfortable with it than plain Ubuntu.  If you're looking for help, support, drivers, etc. you're more likely to find Ubuntu-based ones than any other distro which is a plus point in itself.
PCLinuxOS is a great distro and I would not criticise it one bit, but I just feel happier with a Ubuntu-based distro for the above reasons.
Both Ubuntu and PCLOS include WUBI and I suggest you try them using a WUBI install i.e. installing from within WIndows, as it is easy to get rid of if you want to change distros or go back to WIndows - you just uninstall it via Contreol Panel/Add-remove programs from within Windows just like any other program.
Fans of various distros will vociferously back, defend or promote their favourites to the nth degree and it has often led to serious arguments on some forums.  Make up your own mind based on what you are comfortable with and what satisfies your need best.
Just my 2p worth.
VileReynard
Hero

In pictures Smiley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distros#Screenshots_of_common_distributions
Popularity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DistroWatch#Short-term
Top 10 Distros with Hits Per Day (updated on 2009-04-10; 3 months ago)
No. 	Last 12 Months[19] 	Last 6 Months[20] 	Last 3 Months[21] 	Last 30 Days[22] 	Last 7 Days[23]
1   Ubuntu (2306)        Ubuntu (2354)     Ubuntu (2363)     Ubuntu (2522)   Ubuntu (2473)
2  openSUSE (1734)   openSUSE (1612)   openSUSE (1418)   Fedora (1318)   Linux Mint (1611)
3   Linux Mint (1432) Linux Mint (1470) Linux Mint (1371) openSUSE (1283) Fedora (1317)

snailspace
Grafter

Hi Everyone
Have to agree with the recommendations in this post but there are a couple of points to consider before making a choice.
What hardware do you want to run on?  Is it powerful enough to run with all the bells and whistles or would you be better off with a 'light' desktop like XFCE or Fluxbox - perhaps even a real lightweight distro like Puppy or DSL
On mainstream hardware you could also take a look at Dream Linux (XCFE or Gnome editions)- very pretty Smiley beautiful desktop OOTB  or Sabayon (Gnome or KDE) Cheesy - loads of media options.  All depends what suits you really.  For laptops you really need to know what graphics card and especially wifi chip you have and are they properly supported.
Just for interest my own systems are as follows:
Desktop PC - Athlon 3700 64bit, 2GB RAM 1x160GB, 1x120GB system drives 1x 250GB data drive Nvidia 6600GT graphics.
Multiboot to Windoze XP, Mint (main OS) Ubuntu 9.04, Sabayon and Dream Linux (cos I love the look and speed).
Laptop ( for work) Turion 64 processor 512MB RAM 60GB HDD  ATI Raedon X200 Broadcom 43xx wifi (use USB for Linux)
Dual boot Windoze XP (media centre) Mint (main OS)