Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Updates

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Linux Updates

Little green tick in the bottom bar tells me my system is up to date (Mint 13) but if I open it and enter my password a whole load of files appear with the option of updating.
Am I missing something here or is it just a flaw in the program ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux Updates

You sure it is a GREEN tick when you get all the updates? Mine changes to a different symbol when updates are available.
Heloman
Grafter

Out of interest, I just booted to Mint 12 which I haven't done for some time. Sure enough there was a green tick and the message that my system was up-to-date.
But when I checked, there were dozens of up-dates, just as gleneagles said.
After I installed them the colour changed to grey.
It occurs to me that , after booting, I should have given the system time to "ring home" to check whether or not I was up-to-date.
Even so, I got the message that my system was up-to-date both before and after up-dating and getting the colour change. Something's not right!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

There is a delay before it checks on boot/login (something like 30 sec - 1 min) and the grey means "another app is using apt"
You can right click and choose refresh to see if it still exhibits the same problem.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

It always stays green but I will try refreshing it.
Thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I think it might be a bug in the update manager icons settings. Either that or it isn't refreshing at startup. I just logged in and it shows green - open it and there are 14 updates, but I don't think it had done a "apt update" since I logged in, that may take 15 min on mine, tomorrow I will check it again after 15 minutes to see if it has updated.
Waldo
Grafter

The updater should refresh on login; it it tries to refresh before the network connection is established it should sleep for a short period and try again.
Not sure if the log file notes any updates found  - manually refreshing just now shows no available updates.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Does it show any updates if you launch it after a manual update (that shows none) ?
UPDATE: Just logged in a few minutes ago and it is showing the ! and there are 4 updates available. Maybe they have fixed it.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Not sure about that, I get the same message, but there were still a number of packages that needed updating. (updated ok doing it manually)
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It is strange I wonder if the number it is showing are priority updates only as I had 4 level 2 and 4 level 3 updates to install.
Might be worth mentioning it on the main Mint forum.