Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint Confusion

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Linux Mint Confusion

I’ve downloaded the latest version of Mint x64 Sylvia (ISO) and when booting from the DVD in the laptop it boots into a fully blown instance of Mint with KDE! I wasn’t expecting this.

Unless I’m missing the obvious how do I actually install this on the laptop’s HD? Is it maybe the OEM option I see in the boot loader?

16 REPLIES 16
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux Mint Confusion

Fix

Well Mint comes in 4 flavours, Mate/Cinnamon/XFCE & KDE You obviously downloaded the KDE version 😉
To install there should be an Install Mint icon on the desktop. Maybe you got the OEM install version Huh

@Anonymous you probably wanted this one

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@HairyMcbiker wrote:

To install there should be an Install Mint icon on the desktop.

Last time I looked at Mint KDE the desktop icon wasn't visible by default (I could see it in the desktop folder of the File manager) Roll_eyes

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I haven't used KDE for many years so no idea. but there MUST be a desktoip YES? If so then the icon is on that desktop, not a file/folder called Desktop,

But it does sound like he has the OEM install version.
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

Yes, there is a desktop and yes, the installer icon is on the desktop (and on the application launcher menu, among other places).

By default, however, it is not visible when booted from DVD / USB stick:

Scrot1.png

It's possible to add a Desktop Folder View Plasmoid to display desktop icons:

Scrot2.png

Or reconfigure the desktop to have icons visible:

Scrot3.png

No idea why the Mint devs would choose not to have desktop icons visible by default though.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Given Clem and Co are abandoning KDE after this current version then perhaps you'd be better off using the Cinnamon or Mate editions anyway.. They don't hide the icons by default...

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

I've long thought that for KDE on an Ubuntu base Kubuntu or KDE Neon makes more sense than Mint.

Offhand I can't think of any other distro I've tried that hides desktop icons on the Plasma desktop.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

KDE has always been the poor cousin in Mint land. It stopped being a main release several years ago, and was relegated to a late release after the main editions.

Anyway Mook has got it fixed,
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so you know, this was not my choice of OS or GUI, if it were then he would not have been installing Mint, it would have been Arch Linux. As I was doing this for a friend who wanted it done I was tempted to say do it yourself (part of the learning curve), but I'd have spent longer holding his hand over the phone in tech support mode than it took me to install it.

P.S. I've always thought that KDE was superior to anything else available, but each to their own.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hmm I used to use KDE way back in 2006 but now Cinnamon is much better, unless you love plasmids/desktop widgets. Only thing KDE related on my PC is the burner since it handles Blueray writing.

Arch, nope can't get my head round it at all. I don't want or need to build an OS from scratch.
But in reality to install a modern DESKTOP Linux is usually a few clicks. Unless you want to customise the install, even when M$ is already installed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well to be fair @HairyMcbiker, I was referring to the L&F of the UI itself. As for Arch there is absolutely no fluff involved, I think I’m right in saying that a base install is circa 800MB and that’s not to be sniffed at!

OK There’s no GUI but (I think) you don’t really need one, you have so much more control when using the CLI; in fact all of my Arch devices are headless anyway and I can control each one from the same seat. Smiley

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I DID try Arch a couple of years ago when I was building a server machine, but the simple fact that I was dropped to a CLI with minimal help didn't help to endeer it to me. I also control most of my devices via SSH/ADB but find that even a simple gui can help. Mind you all my pi's are headless, first thing I do usually is drop the guy after setting up the wifi.

Maybe if I was more of a "beard" than I am I would prefer Arch as well ;'-}
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HairyMcbiker - What's a "beard"?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@DaveyH wrote:

Given Clem and Co are abandoning KDE after this current version then perhaps you'd be better off using the Cinnamon or Mate editions anyway.. They don't hide the icons by default...

By current version, do you mean version 18 or the new forthcoming Mint, available in a couple of months or so?

Although KDE never gets released until a considerable delay has occurred.

Never used it myself.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@VileReynard wrote:

@DaveyH wrote:

By current version, do you mean version 18 or the new forthcoming Mint, available in a couple of months or so?

I mean the current version, i.e 18.3

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418