Did you mean: 

Linux Mint BIG problem

FIXED
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Linux Mint BIG problem

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.3/sha256sum.txt

Looks like there's nothing wrong with your download.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just figured out how to do the cksum check.

here is the result....

011 CHECKSUM CONFIRMED.jpg@TheRoadCrew  & @HairyMcbiker   seems like the downloaded .iso file is good to go ! ...

shutter
Community Veteran

So......

where do I go from here  ? ? ? 

@TheRoadCrew suggested it may be a "power to the stick" problem..... however the problem was the same on two machines, both of which are running on mains supply.

and because of the problem being on both machines @HairyMcbiker  ( and me  ! ) thinks that it is not a power problem

@Anonymous suggested trying other ports..... which I have... usb3.0 and usb2.0  and also different port in each machine

so it doesn`t look like a "port" problem either... 

Just a thought..... can I make a "persistant" copy on a Re-Writable DVD  ?    Just wondering if I did that, and then copied the DVD version to a USB stick  ? ? ? 

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since the crc checked out. the only thing I can think of is the actual stick is the problem. Do you have another you can use ? A smaller one 8gb would be best.
Or maybe post on the Mint forums about it, I haven't got a 16gb usb stick so can't test it. Only 2/4/8gb ones.
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker I`ve got a 4GB sandisk Memory card in a USB holder, but need to clear that first and then format it... going out now,... so back in a couple of hours , and see how that works...

cheers

HairyMcbiker
All Star

That would probably boot but not give you much by the way of "user space" which is why I suggested an 8Gb usb stick.
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker Well, it was a "slight improvement"... however, it stopped installing on the small laptop ( all things the same as yesterday).  and shows this screen.

003.JPG

As for "usable space"... there is 2GB free on the memory card/usb stick.... and that will be enough for what I want to do with it. 

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... so now I have used the memory card from my camera... 8GB Sandisk Extreme .... gone through the same motions as before,... and on starting up... it shows the same screen as previously .

Even though the checksum for the actual .iso is correct... I am now downloading a version of Mint 18.3 cinamon 32bit ... to have another go... but I`m not holding imy breath...

Interstingly... when I check the contents of the 8GB card... it shows only 1.78GB Freeof 7.39GB   ? ? ?

compared to the 4GB card.. which showed 2GB free of 3.78GB

Surely there should be more free space on the 8GB card ? ? ? ?  

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hmm is it a 32bit lappy?
Can you boot it on another pc?
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbikersame thing happens on both laptops... !  ... as mentioned earlier... a "normal" Linux mint 18 "Live" usb on a Sandisk Cruser stick boots up with no problem..on either machine.. so it is strange.

Download of Mint 18.3 cinamon 32 bit has completed...

Going to try on a Re-writable DVD and see what happens

EDIT EDIT EDIT ..

Hmm... won`t list the dvd drive as available... so back to the drawing board...

HairyMcbiker
All Star

You cant use the usb writer to write to dvd !

Did you TRY the new stick on the other lappy?
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes,... same on both..

Am having another "write" session on the 16GB stick using UNETBOOTIN but its very slow.  at file number 20 of 114...  patience is a virtue ! .

shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker

@Anonymous

@TheRoadCrew

Yee Hah!...... at last... got Linux Mint 18.3 on my "live" 16GB usb stick. !   UNETBOOTIN seems to have done a better job than Universal USB Installer.

However there was an error notice on loading .. error device descriptor - error 110  but I let it run... took a couple of mins before the Mint Desktop Screen appeared. 

All I have to do now is to check to see if the "persistence" bit works.

Thanks for your assistance guys ... ALWAYS appreciated... Wink

HairyMcbiker
All Star

It might have been corrupted when written using the other installer. Or it is a 16/32bit thing issue.
bobmonk
Fixes: 1

Fix

If you have a windows box this program takes the vast amount of guess work out of it for you

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

download, choose your usb, choose your distro (loads on there but can choose iso if you want of a linux distro), choose persistance (if your gonna use it as a linux stick / none needed if gonna directly install)

press go and wait.

then install