Did you mean: 

Linux Mint BIG problem

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Linux Mint BIG problem

I have a 32GB usb stick

I have formatted it using the Windows full format  ( not quick format )

I have downloaded and used " Universal USB Installer 1.9.8.0

I have also downloaded Linux Mint 18 32 bit  ( as I want to be able to use the USB stick on both 32 and 64 bit machines

I have set the "persistance" mode to the max 4.0 GB

I have completed the "install" on to the USB stick with the Universal USB stick and the .iso file previously downloaded

I have plugged in the USB stick to my 32bit laptop... and switched it on.

I have then  selected the USB installation  from the menu.

Here is the sequence of events in picture form....

001 boot selection screen.jpg002 Mint opening screen.jpg003 flashing cursor ( top left corner).jpg004 error notice.jpg0005 Mint logo screen.jpg006 Can not mount screen.jpg

Apart from the last line saying "can not mount .........."       which means it won`t start Linux Mint... I haven`t got a clue what went wrong, or what all that stuff on the last screen means,...  or how to fix it so I can get Linux Mint onto the laptop, so that I can add a couple of programs  to the USB stick in the "persistant" mode, for use later on other machine(s) .

ANY offers of help would be appreciated. ( even if it means posting the usb stick to you with return postage ! )

32 REPLIES 32
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Linux Mint BIG problem

Have you used that USB stick on that netbook before?

The error on the 4th image suggests the stick isn't getting enough power from the socket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - Just out of curiosity have you tried any other USB ports? Try a port that you can use to charge your phone on this may be a power limitation you have here. Unless you made the USB drive on the the machine you're attempting to boot?

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... thanks guys..... the USB stick has been used for "other stuff" on the netbook, and also on this laptop.

I have tried it before, with a previous install, ( before this one was re==formatted /installed ) in another usb slot.... same sequence of events....

As for power.... the machine is plugged into the mains "and charging" . so I would have thought there was enough going there ! .

just done a "Re start" with the usb stick in another usb slot...

exactly the same ....

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK problem is probably :-
32Gb is too big, try an 8Gb disk, or partition it to 8+24Gb
I think Wx will format it to fatX not fat32, so if you partition it the 8Gb will be formatted as fat32. (fatX is what they call fat for/with big disks) I only found out about it last year.
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker Hmm... that doesn`t make sense to me.... but am willing to go along with it.!!!..  however..

How do I make partitions ?   ( in simple step by step motions ! ! )

The reason it doesn`t make sense to me, is that,... surely the only "active" part of the stick , is that which has something written to it.... as in, the "install" of the .iso file .

Hee hee ! ... just checked the "properties" of that usb stick... it is a 16GB stick... with 5.77 GB "used space"  & 9.24GB  "Free Space"

(must have got confused cos it`s got "Linux mint 32BIT " written on a sticky label !  Doh !  Embarrassed ) .

The Windows Format was done on FAT32 which is the "default" 

so .do I still need to "partition" it to 8GB  ?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  I made the usb stick on this machine...    Have just booted the other machine to Windows 7 Professional, so that I can give the usb stick a "boot" on this machine, but still keep this thread running on the other one..

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hmm Not got a 16Gb to test on.
Do you have a working Linux install? If not then I can't remember how to do it using m$.
If you do open gparted and delete the 16gb partition, then click on the New partition icon, and make it 50% of the disk. Then format to fat.
Try installing using Tux boot instead of your other one. (https://tuxboot.org/installation/) you may not need to partition it.Or this one http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ (or was that what you used?)

Or it maybe a corrupt iso image, did you md5 check it?

shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker I have a "live" usb stick with Mint on it... on a Sandisk Cruserblade

For information, I have just tried to "Boot" up the usb stick on the BIG laptop... which is also on the mains and fully charged..... it gives the same screen results as already shown ...

I used the USB3.0 slot and the USB 2.0 slots... same result.

The sandisk Cruiserblade boots up on the USB3.0 no problem !.. but that is not "persistant" ! ! .

The link to the Linux UUI shows the same "window" that I used to create this one.

If I use gparted on the other machine ( now booted to Linux Live Mint18 ) will the usb stick still be usable on a Windows machine ? i.e. to use Mint 18 as a secondary ( repair mode ) Operating System .

HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you are getting the same error, then it rules out the power issue.
The fact it starts to boot, means it was written OK, but I would still suspect a duff iso.
Run an md5 check against the checksum on the download page.(http://winmd5.com/ is a free utit to check it.)
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker does that check the "install" on the USB Stick.... or the actual .iso downloaded file?

Am downloading a new .iso file from the Kent Uni site at present got about an hour to run ! !.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ths ISO file. It should give you a long number that should match the one on the download page. If you go here (https://linuxmint.com/verify.php) and select the iso you downloaded it will give you the number to match
My mistake they have switched to sha256 get this one instead (https://bhoover.com/how-to-verify-checksum-windows/) you can just paste in the correct number and get it to verify the iso.
I used to use a download program in FF (can't remember what it was called) that had the option of checking the crc after download was complete wort it for iso images.
shutter
Community Veteran

Back on Windows on both laptops now.... checking the downloaded .iso file .... I cannot see any numbers ...however... going to "properties"  there is a "note" at the bottom of the window which says.

"Security"    "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"

with a "button" which says " unblock"   so I have unblocked it, and  i will now do a format again and try another UUI instal

catch you later...with an update...

shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker  Having done the download of the .iso file... i did not see any "cksum" or similar instructions

Have re-formatted the USB stick....  and gone through the procedure to install the .iso fil....  still no instructions about using "cksum"...

Tried the "completed" usb stick in the small laptop... and get the same result again ...

shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker Here is a pic of the results of the checksum scan

008 checksum.jpg