Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 9 review

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Linux Mint 9 review

A good review <a href="http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-linux-mint-9-isadora.html">here</a>
I personally had my share of issues with Linux Mint in the past. I felt that many of its customizations were actually intrusive. I was so used to configuring Ubuntu to my own taste that Mint's own customizations felt a bit alien. This time around, though, Ubuntu 10.04 has taken such radical twist that Linux Mint 9 feels like the more familiar now. No MeMenu, no window buttons on the left, no push towards social interaction...

Cheesy
And one for Fox:-
“Before you start reading the review, though, make sure you are ready for a healthy overdose of GREEN!”
78 REPLIES 78
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Linux Mint 9 review

I have had it on 1 of my pc's and my laptop for a few days now , I am getting on really well with it.
Uses so much less memory than windows so its great on my laptop which I mainly use for a bit of surfing and watching iplayer/4od etc
Haven't had any issues with it so far.

Cheers
Paul
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've replaced windows seven with Isadora and I really like this release, One thing bothering me and that is when I type I sometimes am randomly logged out of my session?? Think it could be my keyboard though so went and purchased another one today, I like LM9 so much I left a donation and a reply in the review on Linux mints blog Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I've never had any issues WRT being logged out. A funny Fkey being sent to the system?
My keyboard has a Sleep button on it but it is right at the far right above the keypad -, so I never hit it accentually.
Must admit I like the new version very much, especially the fast boot/shut-down times, the software manager is ok but I will stick to synaptic  Wink (I had Ubuntu 10.04 on my EEE and tried the software manger on it, not a contender compared to this one, now have Mint 9 with the NBR add-ons on it.)
paulpicks21
Grafter

Yeah seems to shut down in a couple of seconds on my pc , amazing  Cool
With Ubuntu I had issues playing video until I had managed to find and download the correct codecs , but on mint it was good to go straight away which was nice.
Some cool screen savers on it too!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't Mint (only) Grin a customised Ubuntu?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

And isn't Ubuntu only a customised Debian  Cheesy  Roll_eyes
paulpicks21
Grafter

True  Grin

Just out of interest (for a relatively new linux user) ....I see it states there is no need for antivirus software with mint 9 , how does this work exactly?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

99.9% of virus's are written for M$ OS's, they only way a virus can attack a Linux system is IF YOU give it permission to. Nothing can change/attack the system files without asking for a password, and at the moment the virusii writers are happy writing for M$ systems as there is ALWAYS a new hole in them  Sad
If you are sharing a Linux & M$ systems then you can run a virus scanner but thats about the only time. I have Bitdefender for the odd occasion I have to d/l an exe for someone else and just power it up to check it and it down again  Cool
I have been using Linux full time for nearly 3 years and NEVER been virused, and I don't run a local firewall either, only the NAT of my router.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Paul,
Important: Although Linux is very resistant to viruses, it is not resistant at all to user input. The implication of this is that you should always have some idea of what you're doing before you do it. Sometimes a malevolent user will post something you don't understand, toting it as a "script" that'll solve some problem or improve some functionality. For example, if you're browsing the web for whatever reason, and you come across a script like this:
Code: Select all
   :  ( ){ :|:& };:

Absolutely do NOT run it without first finding out what it does. That specific snippet will initiate an attack called a "forkbomb", causing infinite recursion and meaning you'll have to reboot (ie. you'll lose anything you were doing when you ran the code). People can be nasty, don't trust everything you see on the Internet.
Also important: Despite what I said above, there are some nefarious methods that will work on both Linux and Windows, the most prominent of them being JavaScript attacks through Firefox. I've never heard of a JavaScript attack causing a huge system-wide problem, but they can cause big problems with your browser. The good news is that JavaScript is very easy to avoid! When you first run Firefox, go to Tools -> Add-ons, search for NoScript, and install it. With NoScript, these cross-platform JavaScript attacks will never be able to make it through to your browser. Yay!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks for the info guys , interesting stuff.
Tbh I am mainly using mint on the laptop now and like I said before , its just for watching catch up tv and some light surfing just on safe sites I always use.
Its speeded the laptop up no end as it only 768mb of ram and windows was pretty harsh on that.
Another thing I forgot to mention is I have put google chrome on it as the browser as I prefer it over firefox. It seems to run perfect on there.
Cheers
Paul.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ok, SO..... I have Mint 8 Helena, as a "stand-by" on my hard drive, in case my Vista fails to boot....
Took me some time to get it configured for using the wireless card in my laptop,  so that if I get a failure, I can still go online with Mint 8.
Question `s... What difference is Mint 9 to Mint 8,... and if I decided there was enough difference, would I just have to download and install it over the Mint 8 copy, or would I have to remove the Mint 8 version first.  Would the Mint 9 version be easier to set up the wireless connection to my router?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

From the blog:-
New features at a glance:
New Software Manager
30,000 packages
Review applications straight from the Software Manager
APT daemon
Visual improvements
New Backup Tool
Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks
Backup/Restoration of the software selection
Menu improvements
Editable items
Transparent menu
Always start with favorites
“Add to” shortcuts
Desktop settings
Changes apply immediately
Additional options
Better look & feel
Backgrounds
Welcome screen
Update Manager
System improvements
Windows installer
Husse quotes
USB Creator
Default software selection
Local repository and Gnome-PPP
Apt hold/unhold/held commands
Project changes
Community Website
CD & DVD
Community Editions
OEM installation disks
USA/Japan distributors disks
32 & 64-bit
Upstream improvements
Faster boot
Long Term Support

WRT your wireless no idea, download it and try it, you don't have to install it!
You can install over the top no need to remove the old version.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

"New features - at a glance list"... are they all.... "all new" features,.......  or are there "new features" in the original features..... as in "new improved cornflakes"... is the same stuff in the packet, but may have got less salt in the make up, or some other minor change, which qualifies the advertising...!..
Yes, I suppose I could run it from a disc, to see. !... the wireless connection bit is the "hump" I shall have to cross, when I do try it out !...(will let you know! ! )
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

"USA/Japan distributors disks"
Is this a feature?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."