Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 8 - Helena Released

Professormoog
Dabbler

Re: Linux Mint 8 - Helena Released

Hello!
I knew I'd be back!
I have installed Linux Mint 8 Helena alongside my Vista OS and generally it is very good. However!
I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1gb Graphics card and my LG moniter has a resolution of 1280 x 1024, but I when I go into settings to change the resolution I'm only offered 1024x780 maximum. I have tried to install Nvidia drivers and such but I cannot get the resolution I need.
Can anybody help please!?
I am very ignorant of command line stuff (but willing to take instruction) and I don't know where to find things, so if you are kind enough to reply to me, I'd need instructions with click on X select Y and click on Z... etc...
real basic school boy stuff.
I look forward to any help.  Thank you
Matt
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you sure? Smiley
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS 512MB and it's good for 1680 x 1050
I would expect your card to do much better.
How does it compare with the resolution in Windows?Huh
Otherwise, you could consider, with help from someone more experienced in these matters altering your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
It is quite likely that this file doesn't exist Smiley
This is because Mint is derived from Ubuntu - which no longer uses this file.
Try entering (in a terminal screen)
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
anyway - but do not change this file without outside help!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have you checked the NVcontrol panel, does it show the monitor and the resolutions available?
Professormoog
Dabbler

Hello
I have used both the Nvidia control panel and the screen resolution panel in Mint but neither offer the resolution I can use in windows Vista (1280x1024).
I have changed it to 1152x864  which is improved, but is a bit too thin (it makes the image slightly skinny).
I'm on holiday for a week, so will check here again when I get back.
Thanks again people  Wink
Matt
VileReynard
Hero

1280x1024 will give you a 5:4 aspect ratio.
1152x864 will give you a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Either of these are for a "old-style" screen - if you have wide-screen you should be using a 16:9 (or similar) aspect ratio.

Professormoog
Dabbler

No sound at all in Mint 8
Hello
I originally posted on this thread - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=19908&start=20  on the Mint forums (page 2)
because I had a problem with my resolution.
I followed some advice and managed to get an acceptable resolution - 1152x864 (though not the 1280x1024 I really needed)
but since then I can't get ANY sound on any part of Mint 8. I know my hardware is ok as I dual boot with Vista and everything works on there perfectly. The sound was absolutely fine on Mint 8 before I did the resolution setting.
Someone kindly posted a way for me to find my sound settings, which are -
~ $ lspci | grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
~ $ inxi -A
Audio: Card ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.20

I'm pretty new to this, and not very good with command line stuff. Can anybody help me to get my sound working again please!?
My system details are below from my original post  on the Mint Forums -
Original post Details -
Re: How to get Nvidia Cards Reolution set
Postby professormoog on Sat May 08, 2010 12:19 am
Hello! I have recently installed Linux mint 8 (dual booted with Vista) and generally it's good.
I still use Vista most while I'm getting used to Mint. I prefer Mint to Ubuntu, PC Linux, and Mandriva as mostly everything works out of the box with mint, there was too much to do with the other distros to get stuff to work.
My system is - Acer Aspire T671. Dual core 2.8ghz processors x 2; 2GB Ram; 250GB hd; 1GB Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT Graphics card.
I'm having problems with setting the resolution. I have downloaded the drivers reccommended by Mint - NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.36.15.pkg1.run
I seem to be running the 185.18.36-0ubuntu9 version according to EnvyNG.
I am currently using, 1280x1024 resolution while in Vista but when I'm using Mint 8, I open NVIDIA X Server Settings I don't have that resolution as an option. the nearest I can get is - 1152x864 which makes everything a little thinner, although it is a better resolution than the 1024x768 it keeps re-setting to.
Also when I click on Save to X configuration file I get this - Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.cong'!
My question is! - How do I get the resolution I need (1280x1024) and then how do I get it to stay please?
I have tried almost everything I've read to make it work but it doesn't seem to. I am a total beginner. I can't seem to get anything to work in the command line either! So GUI type stuff only please!
Thank you in advance  Embarrassed
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I would suggest you try the new version, it maybe that your system was/is just too new for the drivers to have caught up.
Or try a different distro like PCLinuxOS - not used it myself but some people here like it.
The main issue with Linux at the moment (as it has been for years) is lack of drivers for new hardware, until vendors start releasing drivers for Linux along with M$ & Mac then we will always have this problem.
Professormoog
Dabbler

Thank you - Hairy Biker  Smiley
Do you know how I can upgrade to Linux Mint 9 when the stable version has arrived?
I run Vista as my main OS and I'm practising on Mint 8 (which is first in the boot Q), do you know how I'd delete Mint 8 and overwrite it with 9?
Sorry if I'm not making sense!!
Thank you
Matt  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Stable version is here now. I have been using the RC since it was released with no issues.
Do you have anything in you home folder you want to keep? if so back it up. then just boot from the cd and choose to overwrite the Mint 8 partition and off it will go.
VileReynard
Hero

Isn't it possible to say custom install (or something) and retain your /home untouched?

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Only if you have a separate partition, Mint doesn't recommend rolling upgrades, preferring a  fresh install and restore of the home folder. I have done custom installs and kept my /home part. but as the user is a new user I didn't want to confuse them.
Professormoog
Dabbler

Thank you Hairy Biker  Smiley
I'll give it a go soon and post my success on here as inspiration to others like me  Cheesy