Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 8 - Helena Released

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Linux Mint 8 - Helena Released

Mint 8 - based on Ubuntu 9.10 has just been released <a href="http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1155">click here</a>
Just installed in on my main machine (Athon X2 4200, 3Gb Ram, NV 7200GT) via a usb drive, It installed so fast I thought there was a problem !!
(I did a clean install to test it out) The new boot screen is better than the Ubuntu one (Green rather than Grey) and it boots in a FEW seconds to the desktop, about 20 sec to desktop from Grub screen. Cool (Even the USB system boots fast)
Initially I had some issues with the Grub loader, I have 4 HDD's in my system and boot from the IDE one (the others being SATA) and I kept getting Grub Error 15 (file not found), after doing a lot of searching seems a feature of Grub2. I tried all the tricks but nothing worked, I finally went to the BIOS and disabled the SATA, It booted fine, I then rebooted and enabled the SATA and it still boots fine  Crazy
Everything seems fine so far, not really noticed any "improvements" over 7 other than FF3 has been removed and 3.5 is now FF rather than Shireko.

26 REPLIES 26
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Linux Mint 8 - Helena Released

Yep ive just upgraded via the internet to "helena"and all is working very well,never really ran into any problems,weird thing is ubuntu karmic kept either not booting or it would freeze on me when it did boot,helena on the other hand is working flawlessly for me so im chuffed.
Because ive upgraded via the internet im still using ext.3. but so far all is well Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ (Issue 31) gives a pretty glowing review to Mint 7 (the previous one). Crazy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes I read that as well, lots of quotes of "suitable for new users/switchers". But a good review anyway.
Just found a new item. If you rightclick on the sound, and choose prefrences, you can select what kind of audio you have setup (2,2.1,4.1 etc) NICE.
antiquebrit
Grafter

Helena seems to be the fastest booting Mint of the series however I am developing a dislike for Grub2. 
I have just one hard disk with only Helena installed on it.  On boot-up, no boot screen is displayed and we go from the Mint icon straight and fast onto the Desktop. 
Therefore no chance to use Compatibility mode or any other mode. 
My other moan is that there seems to be no way of safely modifying the boot menu. 
Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.
Moans Over. Smiley
David
VileReynard
Hero

If this was Ubuntu, you could use install the "Start-up Manager".
This displays the available kernels for a second or two - just long enough to press escape!

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have found that you can just about press E when booting, just after the grub loading appears, it then displays the boot menu, allowing you to change the booted kernel etc.
Yep grub2 takes a bit of getting used to!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

biker, the grub2 wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2 seems to imply that you can hold down the 'shift' key to get the boot menu.
The user may force displaying the menu as the computer boots by holding down the SHIFT key.

Don't know whether it works or not since I havent upgraded yet...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

I'm still on the old GRUB (version < 1) and it behaved in the superfast boot fashion (I always do upgrades).
One day I shall be faced with a GRUB upgrade.  Cry

antiquebrit
Grafter

Thanks people.
Holding down Shift when the boot screen shows does the trick. Grin
The menu screen also implies that some on-screen editing is possible.
I shall have to investigate the possibilities later as I have just downloaded
Linux Mint 8 Helena x64 Final and will shortly fully install it. Wink
David
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Linux mint 8 is really quite good,better than ubuntu i think Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Professormoog
Dabbler

Hello kind people
I am once again looking at trying several distros of Linux to see how I go.
I wish to try Mint 8 and PCLinuxOS.
I have downloaded and burnt an ISO of each of these.
I have an Acer Inspire T671. 2GB Ram. 64bit capable. dual core CPU 2.8 gb each. with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1gb Graphics card.
(sorry I should have taken down all the text but...) When I try to boot from the disc it says mouse driver installed and just hangs there indefinately with the cursor flashing something like-
A</
I've left it for 10 mins and nothing happens. previously when Itreid to install Ubuntu I had the same problem but got over this when advised to type - acpi=off noapic
and this enabled me to boot Ubuntu. I tried it for PCLinuxOS and Mint and it hasn't worked for either!
I am am new to this but I do have more patience this time than my previous attempts!
With the the boot discs I used NTI to create the discs. they (for some reason) wouldn't fit onto a bootable CD, so I had to put them onto a DVD. could this be my problem?
I'd welcome any other advice.
Thank you I'll look again here tomorrow (Weds) morning  Cheesy
Matt
VileReynard
Hero

I've never tried it, but booting from DVD should cause no problems.
If you look at http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_oversize.shtml (ignoring the "science" bits ;D) then you will see why your CD recorder got upset.
It's likely that your downloads were in the 680MB region.
If your CD burner uses very old firmware/software, then this would explain your problems - burning more than about 660MB is sold as "overburn capability".
Don't know about your seizure problems though!
Do you get a boot menu (GRUB)?

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just checked my Mint 8 cd is 680Mb, should fit on a standard 80Min cd (700Mb) with no issues.
If it is giving an error like A< then it maybe the grub boot loader is failing, try burning at a slower speed (I usually burn at 24speed on my 48x burner).
If you have a spare 1Gb (or bigger) usb drive then you could use unetbootin to make a bootable usb drive.
Professormoog
Dabbler

Hello Fox & Biker!
Thanks very much for your advice. I'm currently writing this from a live cd disc of mint 8! Sweet  Cheesy
I found an option in NTI where it specifically burnt an ISO (I thought I was doing this when I clicked make bootable cd, it turns out I wasn't!)
I also followed your advice and burnt it more slowly - at 16x to be safe!
I'm going to try a few distros first to see what I like, but I have to say, Mint plays aac and Mp31s straight away! I love the thing where you hover over the icon for the music file & it plays the song! wicked!
I've got Ubuntu 9.10 and PCLinuxOS 2009.2 to play with as well. But thank you for your help, I'm sure I'll need more if I actually dual boot etc...
Laters - Matt