Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 19.1 Trivial Problem !

FIXED
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Linux Mint 19.1 Trivial Problem !

Running Linux Mint 19.1 (fully updated)  with WINE 5 installed, and several "windows type" programs that run with no problems...

This "trivial" problem is "how do I get rid of excess mentions, when I choose to "open with another application"..

here is some pics... Note... GOM player is having some problems, and has had several unistalls, deletions of leftover files before new installs.. but it shows up over 30 times on the "other application" listings..  and also shows up twice on the "main menu" listing.  winrar also shows up about 20 or 30 times.. ( but only one install of that) .. likewise with Irfanview 20 to 30 times in the listing.  How can I get rid of these "waste of space" entries in the listing  ? ? ?

518x600-OPEN WITH 04.jpg.jpg520x600-OPEN WITH 02.jpg.jpg549x600-OPEN WITH 03.jpg.jpg594x600-OPEN WITH 01.jpg.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Linux Mint 19.1 Trivial Problem !

Have you tried the 'Open with' then -> 'Other Application'

There's an option to 'Reset to system defaults' - possibly a bit risky - but I would give it a try.

Linux uses mime-types when deciding which applications can open a file, whilst Windows seems to use 3 characters after a dot. Perhaps Wine is imitating Windows?

e.g. my Linux options for mp4 files are:

x.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 159

Is there a reason not to update to Mint 20 at present?

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 144

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@MisterW  Thanks for that link... will have a go... seems a strange thing for the "app" to do this though... 

Yeah... I `kinda` understand it happening, IF you did multiple installs ( as I did with GOM player) from different downloads... But "Irfanview" was definitely only one install... and in previous Mint distros, it has always shown a lot of entries for Irfanview...

Thanks again...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fix

@MisterW  OK... Found the location..

go to "Home" directory/folder

look for "Local"..expand that..

.find "Share" expand that....

.find "Applications"  expand that...

deleted all multiple entries for Irfanview.... ( over 300 ! ! !  apparently, .... Shocked )

on checking the "open with ......" listings after deleting...... all the other multiple entries, also seemed to have disappeared !

It seems that "Irfanview" may be responsible for the multiple entries, probably because each entry refers to a separate operation that Irfanview can carry out...

I re-installed "Irfanview"... and tried "open with"... and several entries were listed ... so I went back to the Home directory and deleted all but one...

Now, it`s all neat and tidy again..

Thanks....Wink