Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 16 install

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Linux Mint 16 install

Installed Windows 7 to SSD and then Installed Mint 16.
The usual option of retaining windows 7 appeared but when it came to the actual installation only my hard drive was visible showing half was reserved for windows and half for linux.
Just carried on with the install but some files seem to be all over the place.
If I open and install programs direct in the hard drive  will there also be some reference  to them in the 'C' SSD drive ? or can some programs only be installed in 'C' ?
There is information about SSD's  but some of it seems quite complex
The dual boot menu works ok.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux Mint 16 install

Can't say I follow what you are asking.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Sorry it does sound a bit confusing I was supplying information to explain what I had done but the question I was asking based on that information was,
If I install programs to my hard drive identified a 'K' will some files of those programs also appear if I look in my SSD Drive identified as 'C' ?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Are you referring to installing Windows (type) programs on K Drive? 
or
Linux programs
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Basically NO programs that you install under either system will be available on the other.
Documents yes but not programs.
If you save documents to a FAT/NTFS drive on either system then they can be accessed on either system, anything saved on an EXT(n) file system will not be seen in M$.
Hope that helps.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that,
The only other odd thing is when installing Linux it did not appear to be able to see the SSD, just giving me the option of installing on the HDD.
Is it only possible to install a single OS on a SSD ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No idea. I have LMDE installed on my EEE, which has a ssd (8GB!)
So it only showed the HDD not the SSD and the HDD?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I successfully installed Linux Mint 16 onto a laptop with Wind 7 on it with virtually no problems; just getting Wi-Fi working took a little bit of manual intervention.
From Linux I could access my documents in the Windows partition.
I tried several different Linux distributions and have found Linux Mint the best and will be staying with it now - on one of my laptops. I still have to use Windows for a few things and have another laptop with Win 8.1 on it for that !!!!!.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I got donated a Toshiba Satellite L300D a week or so ago, put LMDE on it but had the nic driver issue (Realtec R8168), where the nic would fall over all the time, wifi worked oob.
So I just reformatted it with Mint 16 and it seems solid now. Will put Mint 17 on it when it is released.
I also found a nice feature of grub2, if you have a 3TB disk then it just doesn't want to play. I have an external 3Tb disk that I have to UNPLUG to get the box to boot, strangely this feature wasn't happening on my old Acer that I used to use as my "server". With the drive plugged in it bypasses the internal hdd which is set as the boot drive.
It has also got an expresscard slot, in place of the old PCIMA, so I got a Belkin gigabit card, it gave me kernel panics! Waiting for another type to arrive so I can get back to higher speeds. PITA as my old PC-line PCIMA gigabit card worked fine.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
The only other odd thing is when installing Linux it did not appear to be able to see the SSD, just giving me the option of installing on the HDD.
Is it only possible to install a single OS on a SSD ?

It ought to be possible to install more than one OS to an SSD; perhaps, with Windows already installed, you'd need to use a Custom/Expert/Other (whatever the Mint installer offers) mode to be able to do so.