Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 15.. Firefox update

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Linux Mint 15.. Firefox update

My great granddaughter has and old Dell laptop..( she keeps breaking them ! ).. (she is only 10 ).. and I have a copy of Linux Mint 15 on a HDD that will work on the laptop... (just plug and play ! ). but it has Firefox 23 on it...

How can I update it.... ?

When I check the version on Windows.. it usually reports it is updating automatically,.. but this linux version came with the original .iso file.. and does not seem to have that capability.

I have downloaded v.53 for 32 bit Linux.. which comes as a .tar.bz file....  what do I have to do with that... to get it to replace version 23 ?

I have tried extracting it.. and opening it.. but cannot see any way of "installing" it...  ( on windows it would be a .exe file ).

so.... noddy`s step by step guide please  ?

Thanks..

PS  yeah I know I can get a new .iso file of Mint 18.1    but that seems to be a longer process and time is of the essence here...

9 REPLIES 9
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Linux Mint 15.. Firefox update

A quick search found the following. It's for an older version of Firefox but may work with appropriate changes for the different version numbers.

http://www.lauradhamilton.com/how-to-upgrade-firefox-on-linux-mint

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks for that.. will get right on it !  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@alanf well that didn`t work.... maybe I`m not so good with terminal work !.. so.. she has gone back home without it.. and left me to play with it for a couple of weeks...

Meanwhile, I downloaded a new copy of the Mint 18.1 .iso file, and am making a bootable USB stick with UUI. and then do a new install .

Thanks for your reply.Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fix

Open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install firefox

This should download & install the latest firefox package, together with any dependencies.

Never compile from source, unless there is a very good reason!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@VileReynard

Would that work without any further tinkering given that Mint 15 has been out of support for over a year?

VileReynard
Hero

When you get your new Mint installed (take a backup first) Grin

You should see a small shield on the right hand side of the task list bar.

Screenshot from 2017-05-01 15-36-15.pngA green tick means no substantial updates -

Screenshot from 2017-05-01 15-49-40.pngA blue ! indicates there is something of interest -

In fact, the following packages are available for meScreenshot from 2017-05-01 15-53-00.png

Level 1 updates are the most important and level 5 are best left undone, unless you have a test installation.

VileReynard
Hero

@alanf wrote:

@VileReynard

Would that work without any further tinkering given that Mint 15 has been out of support for over a year?

It's worth a try, considering that the OP is planning on replacing Mint 15 with Mint 18

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  Thanks foxy..   that has installed v 53.0 over the version 50, installed with Mint 18.1 from the UUI stick install.

Nice to be making some progress again... ! Wink

Tagger
Grafter

If you're using an up-to-date version of Mint, then it will update Firefox just like any other software that's installed.  Just check the little shield icon in the system tray for updates from time to time.

It gets to be a total pain when Mint decide to drop support for the version you have.  Then the Firefox updates stop, and you have to resort to manually installing it, which requires admin rights and a lot of faffing about at the terminal prompt.