Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Help Please

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Linux Help Please

Currently using Linux Mint 17
I Use Google earth a lot which I have installed and it works ok but no photographs of places are showing.
The work around appears to be to install libfreeimage 3 which I have done and the other file needed is New QT Libs
QT Libs is downloaded but I am not sure where this file should go ?
Do I open it and drag the contents into the google earth file and if so exactly where is the google earth file likely to be located ?
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
29 REPLIES 29
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Linux Help Please

Where did you download the Qt libs from?
What format is it? If it's a .deb file you can install with dpkg -i filename.deb, if it's a tarball (source code) you'll need to compile it yourself (there should be a readme or install file with instructions).
Without more details it's difficult to be more helpful.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I would have thought a suitable version of Qt would be available from the package manager, so you shouldn't download it from elsewhere.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you compile source libraries then if it is a shared library you may well get problems with other Qt programs.
The usual way is to install the library somewhere and change a symbolic link to point to it.
That way if it doesn't work out you can switch between versions by recreating an appropriate symbolic link.
You can see how it works with
ls -lh /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu | grep Qt | more

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

This is getting a bit complicated for me, I found the following link for Qt libs,
The problem doesn't exist if newer QT libraries are used.
I created a tar archive (xz-compressed) with the new libraries and installation comments:
ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs.txz
To untar, you may need to install the xz package.
Alternatively, you can download the new libraries directly from RPM archive sites.
The libQtWebKit library can be extracted from a binary RPM (use rpm2cpio).
The libQtCore, libQtGui and libQtNetwork need recompilation according to the comments in the README (after applying the changes, create a binary RPM and extract the libraries with rpm2cpio).
Might be better if I just forget about the photos as the rest of google earth works ok
Just out of interest is anyone else using google earth with Mint 17 with no problems ?
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Maybe this will help Smiley
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1710
I don't use the prog myself but as a test I followed the instructions to install google earth and it worked without any probs Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

I'm using Mint LMDE and accessing Google Maps via Firefox - I don't have any special software installed.
Street maps and basic photo's work fine.

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
I Use Google earth a lot which I have installed and it works ok but no photographs of places are showing.

I see what you mean; get a white box, right-click and reload, get a 404 error.
The work around appears to be to install libfreeimage 3 which I have done and the other file needed is New QT Libs

It appears to be a problem with Linux in general; the attached screenshots are from a Fedora install (I don't have a Mint install to try) and the fix for Fedora (and openSuSE) is different.
There is a forum post specific to Mint 17 here which might help.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: gtowen
Maybe this will help Smiley
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1710
I don't use the prog myself but as a test I followed the instructions to install google earth and it worked without any probs Smiley
This is where I got the original program from and as you say it works but unfortunately if you try to look at a photograph of a place all you get is a white box.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: Waldo

I see what you mean; get a white box, right-click and reload, get a 404 error.

It appears to be a problem with Linux in general; the attached screenshots are from a Fedora install (I don't have a Mint install to try) and the fix for Fedora (and openSuSE) is different.
There is a forum post specific to Mint 17 here which might help.
I did try the suggested link on that forum to bkjaya.wordpress.com and some people appear to have had success with it but not in my case.
Even uninstalled google earth and then reinstalled by copying and pasting the instructions into the terminal, everything downloaded with no error messages but still no luck.
VileReynard
Hero

I don't see the point in installing Google Earth.
I get all the functionality I need via web browser at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Depends on what you want it for.
In my case it's useful to get an accurate view of a specific road or area in the countryside so I can see the best place to park when going rambling.
Some roads can have miles of stone walls but with google earth its possible to find a suitable layby. Google maps would not give me that information.
Waldo
Grafter

I did try the suggested link on that forum to bkjaya.wordpress.com and some people appear to have had success with it but not in my case.
Even uninstalled google earth and then reinstalled by copying and pasting the instructions into the terminal, everything downloaded with no error messages but still no luck.

Odd. I tried that with 64-bit google-earth-stable from extra.linuxmint.com on Mint 17 running from a USB stick and it worked just fine.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that, will uninstall and try again from that link sometime tomorrow.
This might sound a silly question but the problem couldn't be due to my graphics card could it ?
Nvidia card.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

When you "uninstalled" it did you remove the config files as well? I have had that where a "bug" stays even with a new version, it was down to a config problem. make sure that the program is purged not just removed.