cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux-Friendly PC

Not applicable

Linux-Friendly PC

Please forgive me if our Linux fans already know this (you probably do) but just spotted this on Lifehacker so I thought that I would drop it in here for anyone who might  be interested and not aware.
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Linux-Friendly PC

It's useful - but it seems to be missing all peripheral devices - such as printers.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

What Jeremy says is valid (as it would be!) but note is taken. Just sorry that no one seems to want to thank you!!
I have often wondered if it is worth trying to build specials apart from the mental and technical exercises such an project entails. There is little advantage in cost over buying complete kit off the shelf unless most of the bits can be picked up on eBay. It must appeal to some, there is no accounting for taste.
C.  Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you are building a pc from scratch for a specific purpose then getting parts that are known to work with Linux is a benefit. Otherwise just buying an off the shelve kit/pc is usually what happens.
Although the last PC I bought (complete type) was about 20 years ago, these days I just upgrade a bit at time, new mb/cpu new hdd etc rather than buy a whole pc, although saying that this is being typed on a Dell PC that I got through freecycle  Cheesy (It was a better spec than the pc I used to use  :()
VileReynard
Hero

For my current PC I bought one supplied without OS where you specify (within limits) what bits you want.
So I just got a AMD CPU and a nVidia chipset / motherboard / video card.
It worked perfectly.

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: A
So I just got a AMD CPU and a nVidia chipset / motherboard / video card.
It worked perfectly.

Ditto. From my very brief experience of ATI cards on linux it seems a lot easier to get nVidia stuff to work. Having said that last time I tried ATI was quite a while ago, so it may have improved since then.
colintivy
Rising Star

I am doing much the same with a Dell OptiPlex GX11O with XP Pro (washes mouth out!), a gift from my son. single 8GB HD but it works. Plans in hand is to replace HD with 160 GB and another to run from Promise Ultra 100 TX2 Disk Accelerator/Host Adapter, all from eBay. These should pep it up and be able to use all the capacity of the drives. Then I will be able to put some decent software on and perhaps dual boot with Linux. I do have some kit which seems impossible to run properly from Ubuntu. Wish me luck!!
VileReynard
Hero

If that Promise thing is a SCSI controller, I've previously put an Adaptec SCSI controller and an externally powered box, bought the wires, connectors, disk all of ebay and it works fine.
I wouldn't buy anything off ebay now, after their harassment via paypal of Wikileaks.