Linux Dual Boot DVD-R/CD-R Problem

thejudge
Rising Star

Linux Dual Boot DVD-R/CD-R Problem

I have a PC running XP Pro with the following spec:

Athlon 64x2 Dual 4200+

2.21GHz  3.50 GB Ram

250GB HD with 195GB free.

As XP is now out of support, I wanted to see if I could set up a dual-boot with Linux.

I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (64-bit) and burned it to DVD-R as an .iso

I changed the boot order to load from the DVD drive and rebooted

When it starts to load, I get messsages as follows:

[0.2543369] do_IRQ: 0.55 No IRQ handler for vector

[0.278806] Spectre V2 : Spectre mitigation: LFENCE not serializing, switching to generic retpoline

[0.007402] do_IRQ: 1.55 No org handler for vector

The splash screen then loads, but that's as far as it gets.

I tried the same with Kubuntu (same version  number), but with the same result.

I've also tried PuppyLinux 8 (x64), and that will load to the desktop, but I can't complete the Quick Setup screen because the keyboard (PS2) and mouse (USB) won't work.

Because it's an XP machine (2007 vintage), there is (as far as I can see) no UEFI involved.

I really want to see if I can fo this, because I also have a machine running W7, and that goes out of support next year, so I'll need to dual-boot that one (as I have no intention of getting a W10 system).

Any pointers?

62 REPLIES 62
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Linux Dual Boot DVD-R/CD-R Problem

Have you tried a 32 bit version of Linux, also try to install to a flash pen

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

All the best

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@thejudge A much better option than dual boot, is to run Windows in a VIRTUAL BOX. 

Use Linux as your "main" operating system.... and when you NEED to run Windows... you can access it from the Virtual Box ICON on the desktop... no rebooting required...

so... you do not have to close down linux.... then reboot , into windows, .. ( and wait forever ! )...then close down windows, to reboot into linux.

Your Windows version remains "active" in the background, until you actually "close" it down, but when you do that, you are still running Live Linux.

I would suggest Linux Mint. as your main Operating system, as it is very much like Windows , ( apart from some quirks) ! .

You can run a lot of Windows type programs in Linux...using WINE v4.0   it is a bit of "trial and error" to find those that DO run in WINE... but ... you still have your WIndows XP or Win7 on the touch of the icon on the desktop for those that do not run in Linux.

shutter
Community Veteran

@thejudge    Check this link for the google search results.....How to install Virtual Box 6 on Linux Mint 19.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=s7mNXcDpJcaOlwS264LQCQ&q=how+to+install+virtualbox+on+l...

And this one for Install of WINE 4.0  on Linux Mint 19.1

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=8cSNXfSDO9SU1fAPiK63iAo&q=how+to+install+wine+4.0+on+linux+mint+1...

shutter
Community Veteran

If you need a "new" copy of Windows 7 pro... ebay have plenty of offer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R10.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XWINDOWS...

of course, you will still need to get all 120 updates, once it is installed on your Virtual Box.... It is possible you will get the "counterfeit  copy" warning... but it will still work... ( I get that cos I used it on my 2nd laptop , as a back up copy ! ! ) .. ( it still gets the updates too............... until they stop supporting it ! ! ! ! ) ..

thejudge
Rising Star

@shutter,

I might have mis-read this, but wouldn't that mean wiping XP off the HD, then installing Linux and then re-installing XP? Given that it would be unlikely I could get all the updates for XP now, I'd rather not go down that road.

thejudge
Rising Star

@Menace65 

I'm downloading the 32-bit version of the same Kubuntu version (the Ubuntu equivalent seems only to be available as a .torrent, and I don't have a Bt client. I'll report back.

Regarding the USB flash drive, I don't have one available at present.

shutter
Community Veteran

@thejudge   The best way, would be to buy, (or use one if you have) another hard drive, and "start from scratch".. 

You may be able to "clone" the XP that you have and then install that on the Virtual Box...

Not as difficult as it seems...  But if you need help on that.... you can pose questions on here, and I am sure someone with more experience and knowledge will be able to help you.

As mentioned, you can get Win7 Pro cdrom from Ebay...and that will "update" as normal, when you start Windows from the Virtual box... it`s like having a computer within a computer... Brill !..

thejudge
Rising Star

OK, here's the latest.

I tried the 32-bit Kubuntu on DVD-R, but got the same problems as with the 64-bit.

I bought a USB stick and used Rufus as recommended to create a bootable.

I changed the BIOS to USB-FDD, but the PC just booted through to XP as normal.

I then changed it to USB-HDD, but the loading screen just hangs at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data'.

(In both the above scenarios, the actual HDD is set to the second boot priority).

For further info: the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2

Where now?Sad

shutter
Community Veteran

@thejudge  On some computers.   even if you change the "boot order"... in the BIOS...you may still need to "select" the boot device by pressing and holding F12 or some other function key, as you boot up...you may then be presented with a "boot order" list... and have to select again, what you want to boot up to..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thejudge  - Can I suggest you try Linux Mint? Its easy to install and use and has many a user here on the Forum. But before you install you might also want to consider a BIOS update to your mother board, as this may fix the issues you are seeing. You'll need to get the revision number for the board to get the correct update. The revision No will be written on the motherboard, quite possibly close the barcode you can see here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another alternative if you want to live on the bleeding edge is React OS, which is an alternative to Windows. I wonder it this would work for @shutter?

shutter
Community Veteran

I remember having a look at that a few years back... but I`m quite happy with Linux Mint 19.1. as my main operating system, now... Especially as I have WIndows 7 pro on Virtual Box, so I can access all my old MSPUB98 documents from the Virtual Box Icon, on the desk top....

One thing I have noticed, is that WIndows seems to boot up much quicker on the Virtual Box, than it does from being the prime o.s. on a dual boot with Linux..

And, Yes, it has all the 179 updates installed ! ..

I very rarely use it now... Just wish I could get GOM player to work on Linux Mint,.. ( doesn`t work with WINE ). CryCry

thejudge
Rising Star

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Anyway, I got to that menu, went down to 'USB-HDD' and pressed 'Enter' to accept it and it carried on booting...but still hung on the 'Verifying DMI...'

When I rebooted and pressed F12 for that menu again, the main HDD was still showing as selected.

shutter
Community Veteran

@thejudge   Pic from my "boot up" options... ( DELL Inpiron 15 5558 Laptop - about 7 years old ) ...

NO USB stick in the slot...

P1090355.JPG

USB stick in slot.....

P1090358.JPG

I have had quite a few computers since Win 3.1  and cannot remember seeing what you say   USB-HDD being listed...

You already have the .iso for your Linux of choice..... but... as @Anonymous  says.... have a go with Linux Mint... as it is an "old" computer/mother board... I would suggest MATE and 32 bit.

Also I would suggest you use UNETBOOTIN as the software to burn your .iso file to the USB.... Try to remember to adjust the "persistance" to the full 4 MB... so you can  (hopefully) play with it, and still retain some of the settings etc... that you made while playing around..

You may find that it is the present burn software you used for the cd and the usb stick is causing the problems with the old XP architecture.