Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Desktop 8GB

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Linux Desktop 8GB

To quote vilefox, 'no way you can use 8 GB on Linux Desktop ' well I am getting fairly close to it.
Previous installations of Linux & Windows using a dual boot system on a HDD gave me no problems but the same setup using SSD soon gave me a message I was running out of space on the Linux partition so I increased the space to 6GB some months ago but the running out of space message has appeared again so I may well be getting close to that 8GB.
The SSD is 250 GB so it would have been wise to change the partition sizes before installing Linux Mint, never came across this issue when installing to a HDD but the SSD seems to have allocated the mininum amount of space for Linux.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Linux Desktop 8GB

I think you'll find they meant memory... not storage space...
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Def. I have used Linux on a system with 2Gb of disk space. Tight but Puppy Linux worked. Linux on the EEE range was on 4Gb SSD's. I had an exception an 8GB SSD in mine.
Also 8Gb of ram is expansive, I have used systems with 512Mb happily. Depends on what you are doing.
Check the /tmp partition if it hasn't been rebooted for a while. Or if you have crashed some programs.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

OK,
Will do as suggested.
Thanks
Smiley
bin
Aspiring Pro

Hi
For any version of Mint - or indeed most of the 'buntu stable, and yes I know LXDE will take up less space etc etc - you really need to allow an even 10gb for your root partition (Linux Partition). The base install will take around 5-6gb and if you then install more software the space starts to go down. I have around 3gb spare with all the packages installed that I use. Ona 250Gb drive you can spare 15gb and never look back!!
If you haven't already done so, do some research on 'buntu and SSD's as this will help you prolong the life of your drive. This important because Linux is quite chatty with log files and /tmp also gets busy. Using the information available you will be able to move most of that to RAM during normal operations which will save disk activity. You will also learn about the fstrim command which frees up previously assigned space on the drive which is no longer in use.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd is a good place to start. Read and read and read again.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the Link, some useful information there.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Partitions can be resized - if you have sufficient time... Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I have managed to resize partitions with gparted without loss of any data.
It's a very handy program.
Out of interest has anyone ever resized partitions using windows on a dual boot system or is it not possible to do this ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Nope never used M$ to do it. Wouldn't want to as M$ doesn't understand extn file systems, so would bork them probably.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: gleneagles
I have managed to resize partitions with gparted without loss of any data.
It's a very handy program.
Out of interest has anyone ever resized partitions using windows on a dual boot system or is it not possible to do this ?

I've done this to a Windows 7 netbook system from a live USB boot, when I was trying to squash the Windows partion down (no Linux partitions present.
Cycle:-
Defrag Windows,
Squash partition with gparted,
Repeat once.
Finally squash by a bit more than Windows said was available.
Eventually got W7 down to 60GB, leaving 420GB for Linux.
It now works as a dual boot.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

That's NOT dual boot which is what the question was about. That's just normal use of it. Shrinking/removing M$ to allow Linux to work.