cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WAP54G firmware V1.09

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linksys WAP54G firmware V1.09

I have an old Linksys WAP54G V1.0 wireless access point, and would like to upgrade the firmware to both improve stability, and to increase wireless encryption from WEP to WPA.
The unit currently has V1.08 firmware loaded, but in order to migrate to a current firmware version I understand that an upgrade to V1.09 must be done first, and then upgrade again on to the required firmware version, otherwise the unit will become "bricked".
My first problem is that I need to get hold of V1.09 firmware, but the file WAP54G_fw1.09.1.zip no longer exists on the Linksys website, and Linksys technical support don't want to help.
It was located at [ftp=ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WAP54G_fw1.09.1.zip]ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WAP54G_fw1.09.1.zip[/ftp], but any attempt to fetch it results in "can't find the server at ftp.linksys.com"
Does anyone know where I could download this file from (that isn't a dodgy Eastern European driver site), or do you have a copy that you could email to me ?
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: Linksys WAP54G firmware V1.09

Have you considered using 3rd party firmware? I can recommend dd-wrt firmware http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index ; Used it on a linksys and another WiFi access point for sometime. It has many advance features over the linksys firmware
MrC
Grafter

http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-L/LinkSys/WAP54G/Firmware/
NB1: Check which version of hardware you've got - they've certainly got a r1.09.01 under the v1 version
NB2: The above (very handy) site only allows one d/l per day unless you buy some bandwidth - although that's pretty cheap (couple of quid for the smallest amount)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have looked at quite a few third party firmware alternatives, and most of them (other than the mentioned "dd-wrt") state that it is ESSENTIAL to upgrade a WAP54G-V1.0 to the official firmware V1.09 before installing their alternative.  This step seems to put in a low risk workaround for a hardware design fault that can prevent correct loading of ANY replacement firmware, either Linksys or otherwise.  So I will initially still try and get firmware V1.09 loaded, and then move on to the latest and greatest, and would still welcome any recommendations for third party firmware for my V1.0 hardware.
Thanks MrC, I have just registered with the website you mentioned, have downloaded to my PC the V1.09 .zip file and checked it's MD5 checksum is OK.  I will have to wait until later to upgrade the WAP54G as my network is currently in use, but I will update here with how I get on.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update to the above.
I have successfully upgraded (using Linksys firmware) -
From V1.08  Embarrassed (original firmware)
To V1.09  Roll_eyes (modem-help.co.uk)
To V2.07  Cheesy (modem-help.co.uk)
To V3.05  Grin (Linksys.com)
and the wireless access point has gone form a "WEP" only device, to having all of the following -
    WEP,
    WPA-Personal,
    WPA2-Personal,
    WPA2-Mixed,
    WPA-Enterprise,
    RADIUS.
So I am very happy.  Smiley
I will still be looking at third party firmware to see if I can get the output power boosted at all.
itsme
Grafter

DD-WRT firmware has the function to boost WiFi output.
MrC
Grafter

Although boosting router WiFi Tx power isn't much point unless the other devices on the WLAN can also operate at the same Tx levels  Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fortunately most of the other devices in my wireless network are 54g bridges, and each of these are already fitted with booster aerials, giving about 4 to 6dB boost above the standard signals. The laptop has just been upgraded to WIreless-N which has given a significant range boost over the original 54b/g adaptor.  So any boost I can get will mainly increase reliability in poor weather conditions, which sometimes reduces the "link quality" by 20 or 30%.