cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WAG160N or Netgear DGN2000 or any other suitable Netgear model?

Grahamb
Dabbler

Linksys WAG160N or Netgear DGN2000 or any other suitable Netgear model?

My Netgear DG834G (v2) has started playing up of late - sync remains solid, but after minutes or sometimes hours, it just freezes and a reboot is the only option to get it passing data again!
I've borrowed back my old DG834 (no wireless) for the time being and it's rock solid, however I need another wireless model replacement.
'Which?' recommend the Linksys as a 'Best Buy', but I've read varied reports from owners....some good...some not so.  Must admit I've only had the two Netgear models and have been happy with both, until the recent problem on the 834G.
Would appreciate the thoughts of others on which one to go for.

Graham
5 REPLIES 5
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Linksys WAG160N or Netgear DGN2000 or any other suitable Netgear model?

Why not buy another DG834G - there are loads on eBay? I'm a big fan, as you say they are rock solid.
Bob
Grahamb
Dabbler

Fair and valid point.  It's just that I've been looking at the models that specifically mention support for ADSL2 /+ as I'm interested in trying out the higher speeds.
In fact, I have to confess I'm seriously looking at 'O2' as an ISP.  Heard and seen lots of good feedback on their service - 'Which? Best Buy' - for one.  Especially as I'm in the market for a new router which they'll supply as part of the deal.  First 3 months free then 9 x £14-69 for ulimited and speeds up to 20M, if applied for before the end of this month.
If I were to opt for unlimited on here, it's £11-99 for first 3 months, then 9 x £15-99 PLUS forking out for a new router, so bit of a 'no brainer' methinks.
Both are 12 month contracts.
Shame, 'cos in all other respects I can't fault Plusnet, especially their Customer Service.
Graham
James
Grafter

Graham - You do realise that O2 supply the exact same router as us?
If you'd like to drop me a PM to discuss your options, I'd certainlyu be happy to listen.
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Grahamb
It's just that I've been looking at the models that specifically mention support for ADSL2 /+ as I'm interested in trying out the higher speeds.

According to the Netgear datasheet, the DG834G is ADSL2+ compatible http://www.netgear.co.uk/pdfs/dg834g.pdf.
Bob
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you investigate further you'll find that O2, who share a network with Be, works best with certain routers (usually Broadcom-based).
I don't think BT's ADSL2+ technology used by PN is identical, so the same routers don't necessarily work as well on the 2 networks.
(Only the DG834G version 4 is Broadcom)