cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys Router Upgrade

Not applicable

Linksys Router Upgrade

I use a Linksys WAG354G v2 wireless router and have had no problems with it.
However, it only has WEP encryption and I realise that WPA is better.
I would like to know if I should be considering a firmware upgrade but am not sure a) if it can be done with this model and b) if it can be done, is it difficult and could it cause difficulties?
I was able to set it up OK but I don't want to get out of my depth so I would need step-by-step instructions.
Is anyone able to advise please?
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Linksys Router Upgrade

Are you sure it's WEP only, the manuals say it's both?
Firmware updates are available on the Linksys web site and the manual (also online) says how to upgrade.
Not applicable

Thank you for the prompt reply HP. Have checked the pages and there are three Security Modes - Disable/WPA Pre-Shared key and WEP.
This is slightly different to the Linksys that I set up for my neice (later model) and the Netgear that I set up for my friend as both have a selection of WPA settings to choose from.
Sorry to be a bit vague but if I select the WPA Pre-Shared Key would this be OK?
I might add that I don't live in a densely populated area and I do have WEP password-protected. The likelihood of anyone trying to connect here is zero.
The other thing is that when I very first set it up (with the excellent help of Linksys CS) they talked me through it using WEP encryption.
Embarrassed
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
Sorry to be a bit vague but if I select the WPA Pre-Shared Key would this be OK?

Yes - that's what I've done with this router, see below.
Cliff
Not applicable

Excellent Whiffler - thank you very much. Will now go away and play!
Smiley