cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited Network Connection and other issues (wireless adapter)

FIXED
Julie123
Hooked

Limited Network Connection and other issues (wireless adapter)

Hi - Over last 3-4 months I have been having issues with constant dropped wi fi connections with various error messages (see below) so think there is more than 1 issue here.  It doesn't matter what the message is, each time my Hub One is ok (blue) and no issues with my husband's connections on his tablet or laptop or Netflix.  I am using a desktop in a room upstairs, with the router in the next room.

• Yellow triangle where wifi connection is (bottom right) OR red cross - once it said 'disabled, can't enable' and a few times it said 'verify network security key and additional log in may be required', even though it shows as 'connected' and I am signed in to my router.

• Problem with wireless adapter or access point' 

I have run Windows Diagnostics a few times and these problems sometimes disappear then return. 
  •  'Limited Network Connection' in the lower right hand corner. This is on a daily basis and pages are slow to load then I get the message.  It is mainly when my husband is using his laptop and perhaps the Sonos or tablet but it has happened when he isn't connected to anything.

I'm on Fibre broadband and previously I never had 1 issue when I was on standard.  I've researched online and via this community but don't understand a lot of it and there never seems to be a solution. 

Can anyone give guidance please/anything else you need to know?

Thanks

Julie

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Limited Network Connection and other issues (wireless adapter)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Fix

If I understand you correctly, your desktop is accessing the Hub by wifi.

These are Windows messages. They seem to be saying that the wifi connection between your desktop and the Hub is giving trouble.Do you know what make of adaptor the desktop is using? And whether it is a dual band system?

I'm asking because the Hub offers wifi on 2 frequencies. There have been reports that some kit gets confused and switches from one to the other, or even drops the connection. It might be worth separating the two signals and see if that helps. @bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Julie123
Hooked

Thank you BrightonRock.  It is dual band and it's Atheros AR9285 adapter.

A few week's ago  I came across the article you gave and did change it as it suggested but quickly changed it back again as husband having connection problems with Xbox or Sonos but have just tried again an hour ago and so far not been disconnecting (it had been all morning so looks promising).  I'll update if things change.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

If your husband was having trouble after you split the bands it was probably due to him previously using the 5GHz band. When you split the bands you changed the name of this by adding -5 to its name. His device would then have switched to the 2.4GHz band which might not work as well. What he needs to do is reconnect his device using the new name for the 5GHz band and all should be well.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'