cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightweight Anti Virus Prog suggestions Please.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Lightweight Anti Virus Prog suggestions Please.

I have a mini laptop 10" by Hannspree... it runs Window 7 Starter.... ( which I presume is a lightweight version of W7)
the internals are...
Intel Atom cpu N450 @ 1.66GHz
Installed Memory 1.00 Gb
32 bit OS
Not sure if I can upgrade the memory on this.. (could find out....  Roll_eyes )
Have been running AVAST FREE on it since I got it in Nov last year... I only use it occasionally when I am out and about... but it seems to take forever ( at least 5 minutes ) before it is usable, and the first time I try to access google (Firefox) or Thunderbird email... it takes an age and a half before the pages load up...
So.. I`m thinking AVAST is the culprit, and am looking for a antivirus prog (FREE) that is not a resource hog..... any suggestions...
( WIndows defender is installed, but that is only Malware on W7  - not an Antivirus prog until W8 )...
Was thinking of AVIRA... ?

18 REPLIES 18
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Lightweight Anti Virus Prog suggestions Please.

I use windows essentials shutter, I have in the past used nearly all of the usual suspects, but I find essentials does not interfere with anything, doesn't give me any errors in event viewer, and still lets me know if I have opened a bad webpage.
I am sure some people will say essentials is rubbish, but I like it.
shutter
Community Veteran

. deleted reply  Roll_eyes
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Microsoft Security Essentials is the one.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ref the deleted reply !...

Windows Essentials (formerly Windows Live Essentials and Windows Live Installer) is a suite of freeware applications by Microsoft that aims to offer integrated and bundled e-mail, instant messaging, photo-sharing, blog publishing, and security services. Essentials programs are designed to integrate well with each other, with Microsoft Windows, and with other Microsoft web-based services such as SkyDrive and Outlook.com, so that they operate as a “seamless whole”.[1][2]

do I really need to have a "suite of freeware applications" that
"aims to offer integrated and bundled e-mail, instant messaging, photo-sharing, blog publishing,"
Which are serviced by other applications.....
( email is Thunderbird..... Don`t do  "instant messaging "....... Don`t do ... Photo Sharing, ( except on Flickr or email). got my own blogsite already) ... just to get ......
" security services"
Which are not specifically detailed in the above explanation.
Borty46
Dabbler

I'm using Panda Cloud Antivirus Free on a Samsung Netbook. I used to use MSE but found Panda less of a drain on resources.
shutter
Community Veteran

I saw Panda Cloud, referred to in a search,,.... seems like a "good idea"....  as it uses a remote computer to scan files etc.....    but from Wiki...

Privacy concerns
Sending files or even checksums of segments of files out to a remote server to be processed is a severe privacy concern. The only guarantee of privacy in this case depends on both the goodwill of the company and security at their end. If Panda's servers are compromised, either by a criminal who works for them or by a hacker, users' security is compromised.[6]

gives me the shivers, more than a virus attack! ! ! ....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think JamesM was referring to Microsoft Security Essentials Shutter, as w23 also mentions. I use that myself and it's exactly what you're after - very lightweight and nag free (and also cost free too Smiley )
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
Well worth a look.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the "look up"... have done a WIKI look see. ... and the last paragraph regarding "impersonators"... is worrying...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials
The wiki item may well be "out of date"... but it is strange that no "update" on the severity of the "impersonators" has been filed with them... or published.... leaving it "in limbo" as to whether it is "safe" to trust MSE if it can`t deal with an "imposter" of itself.... ( no ref given either way on that question  Undecided )
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

AntiVir is quite lightweight (and free of charge).
I'd be suspicious of anything by Microsoft.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Is that the same as...... Avira Anti Virus?  or is it a lighter version?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest trying a few but this test may help
http://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-tests/
JamesM
Grafter

My mistake, for mentioning windows essentials when I meant Microsoft essentials, thanks Matt for the clear up.  Smiley I am not usually so casual with what I type as I know how easy it is to be jumped on  Wink
After all the OP wanted a virus scanner. why on earth I pointed him to an e-mail, photo sharing, instant messaging, blog publishing, familly security software I have no idea.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: shutter
Is that the same as...... Avira Anti Virus?  or is it a lighter version?

It's not a super-lite version but you got the name right.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Have downloaded and installed Avira Anti Virus... and will see how it performs...
I never did "time" the bootup before, so it will not be a "scientific result" if/when the boot time changes because of the change of AV... same thing for the progs delay
Thanks for your input guys... much appreciated.
Smiley