cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LibreOffice (fork of OpenOffice) recent update

garlic
Dabbler

LibreOffice (fork of OpenOffice) recent update

FYI - There's an update to LibreOffice (3.3.1) just out three days ago. (Windows, Mac & Linux)
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/220739/libreoffice_software_is_here_to_stay.html
6 REPLIES 6
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: LibreOffice (fork of OpenOffice) recent update

Now on LibreOffice 3.5 - apparently a significant upgrade. I've installed it on my laptop (my main computer soldiers on with Word 2000, etc). Do I presume right in thinking LibreOffice is better these days than OpenOffice despite the fact the latter's continuing.
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

You presume correctly. OpenOffice.org is already dead - it just hasn't stopped moving yet.
randpwar
Grafter

My son uses Open Office on his netbook to do his school homework. I can easily back these documents up and install Libre Office in place of OO but will the OO documents be recognised by LO and converted (assuming they have a different file extension)?
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

LibreOffice uses the same formats and file extensions at OpenOffice. Will also open many other file formats and extensions including MS Office.
randpwar
Grafter

Thank you whiffler, much appreciated
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I`ve got OO installed, but only use it for opening document type files that people send to me...  I don`t use spreadsheets or drawing progs, etc... so it is, to me a "necessity" program to be used when needed.... When I want to post a letter, I use Microsoft Publisher 98.... which as very very old... but I am familiar with, and it does what I want... migrating to MS other Office DTP progs is hard work for me....!.. although I have tried to use OO, it is not my first choice...
looking at a couple of "which is best" reveiews on OO and LO.... it seems to me that there is very little difference between the two, (for my purposes)... so will not be installing "another" version....