Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LibreOffice Writer

colintivy
Rising Star

LibreOffice Writer

Hi folks!
Just installed LibreOffice 3 with Win 7 Premium in my new laptop and started to play with it. Quite impressed with Writer's commonality with M$ Word but it lacks a small, but important facility (to me). Word has the ability to print an address onto an envelope or on a selection of adhesive labels. Writer only has an envelope option.
Using my XP machine, which has Word, I regularly type the address as a header in letters, select it so that it appears in the label window  automatically and print it.  My printers are not keen on coping with envelopes, particlarly if they are a bit thick, so labelling them is a bit handy. I know that Win7 appears to have a shortcut to Word in it but this proves to be an invitation to go and buy Word which goes against my mean grain!
I do not expect there is any add-on to change Writer to solve my problem but I wonder if LibreOffice 4 might be pursuaded to consider to put it in?
Cry
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: LibreOffice Writer

Assuming Libre Office is the same as Open Office the command is File/New/Labels
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yes it is just the same, Libre Office was spun off from OoO after Sun started playing silly bugg*rs with it.
Ellis
Grafter

Hi HB, It wasn't Sun that caused the problem, it was Oracle when they bought Sun out. I queried it with a colleague who works for Oracle (and Sun before them) and he said he didn't think there would be any problem. It proved to be that he was right, I don't think Oracle did themselves any favours when they took over. They shouldn't have said what they did, it just muddied the waters.
jim:quote
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: colintivy
Using my XP machine, which has Word, I regularly type the address as a header in letters, select it so that it appears in the label window  automatically and print it.  My printers are not keen on coping with envelopes, particlarly if they are a bit thick, so labelling them is a bit handy. I know that Win7 appears to have a shortcut to Word in it but this proves to be an invitation to go and buy Word which goes against my mean grain!

You could design a skeleton document (template) which has a text box positioned for the address, so as to suit windowed envelopes.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

my Open Office when you open writer lets you chose a template, that include Avery labels of all sizes and styles, I use three designs of label from Aldi's, no problem at all
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Its there in LibreOffice as well.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks lads, all very helpful.
I eventually found the label option which is identica to Word, I should not have expected it to be adjacent to "envelope". I have tried to transfer an address from a letter to the label panel but this does not work, selecting the text does colour the text right across the page and does not put it into the clipboard or the label software does not look for it. I will experiment further but could put up with retyping addresses. The idea of predicting an area in a  template might work.
Grin Grin
Ellis
Grafter

Have you used "Mail Merge", that's the usual way to put in multiple addresses.
colintivy
Rising Star

Ellis,
No I have not ventured up/down that path yet. But I rather enjoyed typing indiviual letters and, without any further effort, apart from putting the label sheet right way up and choosing which blank I wanted, it all happened! It is strange that LO chose not to feature the lable option in association with envelopes like Word does and appears not to allow the copy/paint method automatically inserting the text on to a label which I find attractive.
I have used OO some time ago and cannot remember what that actally did. When I get Mint 11 into the HP laptop I might have a look to see.
Thanks.
Wink