Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PC's on & Assoc fire hazards

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Leaving PC's on & Assoc fire hazards

I've seen a couple of PC fires where the machines were under a desk and not cleaned during a few years of usage. When the box eventually overheated the dust inside the case caught fire and led to the evacuation of the building. One of the PCs was used by the Finance Director's secretary, who had refused to upgrade the PC or to pay a monthly service fee - to save money. Thereafter replacing out of date PCs was suddenly a lot less difficult, and the FD started to pay his share of technicians costs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

IMPO and partially in my own experience the circumstances for a PC malfunctioning in someway which could then start a fire would be pretty rare indeed as there's nothing inside a PC that's incrediby flammable. So I suppose it would depend on where your PC is situated and what sort of environment you're in. If you have a dodgy old PC and a fetish for collecting polystyrene packing chips or kindling you'd be in trouble I guess Wink One for Jamie and Adam on Mythbusters/tested.com I reckon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Continuing Adam's theme, how about a PC housed in a matchbox with surrounding matchboxes containing matches ?

or using a petrol pump as a PC case ?

or perhaps a barbecue ?
Mav
Fixes: 515

A wooden one?
I think the main objective is to minimise the risk of any fire spreading and agree with Adam's sentiments.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Or a cardboard box!:
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The fluff that collects in fans etc. is a hell of a lot more ignitable than wood or even cardboard, keep your PC clear of fluff then it's going to be a minimal fire risk (though I'd still recommend a metal enclosure rather than wood or card).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.