Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Windows 10 update 1607

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Latest Windows 10 update 1607

I have a small Lenovo laptop (doubles as a 10" tablet as the keyboard is detachable) running Windows 10 which is brilliant as a simple portable instead of either my desktop computer or my full-size HP laptop.  The Lenovo does not have a hard disk but uses solid state (??) technology.  It therefore has very limited storage capacity of 32 Gb plus a separate 32Gb SD card.  For typical purposes, it is more than adequate.

However, I have just run into a major problem with hibernation.  It used to hibernate whenever I closed the lid without problem, or of course I could choose to do so with the usual Start > Power menus.  In the last few days, it has automatically updated to the latest Windows 10 1067 build 14393.5, the result of which is that the hibernate function has disappeared.

I have spent / wasted at least 5 hours trying to get the hibernate function back, following instruction after instruction by googling the internet for solutions.  Everything from the usual Power menu in both Settings and Control Panel, through to new Registry D Words and config command in the operating system.. I have checked the BIOS to see if anything had to be re-enable - all to nil effect.  Under Power options, there are Shut-Down Settings, which are now only "Turn on fast start-up", "Sleep" and "Lock".  The  tick box for the "Hibernate" option used to be there (and still is on my Desktop version of 1607) but that option is absent from the laptop, which means it cannot be added to the Start Menu "Power".

Finally, I contacted the John Lewis technical support as I bought it from John Lewis.  They were very good, but eventually could not help either. Then one of their colleagues evidently found a Microsoft article which suggested that the new 1607 update of Windows 10 had eliminated the hibernation function altogether, on the grounds that the hiberfil.sys takes up too much storage capacity (presumably due to all the modern Windows bloatware and legacy spaghetti code !).

I have no idea if this is really true or not.  Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone else even heard of it ?

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Latest Windows 10 update 1607

It's still there in build 1607.

At first I also struggled to enable it on my tablet with a 32GB drive but found the size option in this Superuser question worked.

shermans
Pro

Thanks for that tip.  It sounds very plausible indeed.  I did try the 'powercfg -h on' several times before as the result of internet recommendations, but it did nothing.  However, I did not know about the 75% attribute and I will give it a go.  I assume it would also respond to a smaller percentage, providing the hiberfil.sys is not larger than the percentage of course.  The 32 Gb drive has only 10Gb left after Windows is loaded which may be too small for the default. (Why is Windows so greedy with storage ?  Far too much useless "stuff", I imagine) 

I will give it another go tomorrow night trying your tip and let you know what happens.  Your link never cropped up in all my searches, so I am grateful

Thanks very much for responding.  It sounds that you may be on to something.  Fingers crossed.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Fix
The command 'powercfg /a' lists the available sleep states and that gave me the error 'hiberfile does not support hibernation'

A Google search on that led me to link I posted and I was able to enable hibernation when the size option was used. I've switched it back off because Windows will need the space to apply the newly released insider preview build 15058 Smiley
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

shermans
Pro

Eureka !  Powercfg -h - size 75% worked !  Hibernation is now once again an available option under shut-down settings in "Choose what power buttons do".  I can now tick "Hibernation" like I used to be able to do before, and then when I hit Start > Power, hibernate is there again, like a long lost friend. And indeed it hibernates if I select it.

Thank you so much.  All those hours researching were wasted - I should have gone straight to the Plusnet Forum.  I really am so grateful.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

When you have limited storage capacity why would you want to use hibernate in this day and age? Sleep seems a more favourable option especially under Windows 10 and your system will recover a little quicker too. I read on the 'How to Geeks' website ages ago that in Windows 10 sleep is actually a combination of hibernate & sleep anyway (hybrid sleep) so you get the best of both worlds. You won't save much electricity by hibernating, maybe a couple of quid per year.

I've got quite an old laptop which I can't use on battery power alone for more than 10 minutes before it needs plugging in. However in sleep mode I can leave it without mains power for several weeks without it going flat. On the one occasion where I did leave it too long I noticed that when the battery did become critically low Windows automatically put it into hibernate mode anyway.

I suppose at the end of the day it's down to user preference but having used both myself I actually prefer sleep.

Have you read this article, it's an interesting read: Should You Shut Down, Sleep, or Hibernate Your Laptop?

This one is worth reading too: Don’t Shut Down Your Computer, Just Use Sleep (or Hibernation)

shermans
Pro

I use hibernate for very good reasons :

1. This is just a small convenience 10" laptop come tablet with a hard keyboard.  Storage capacity is irrelevant.  I store very little on it and use it mainly for email or reading the news (I prefer not to have a television as a life-style choice) when I am relaxing in a comfortable hair at home, or sitting on an aeroplane. It enables me still to write documents, work with spreadsheets and do other basic tasks en route, and if there is an internet connection to check emails, I can temporarily store them off-line.  All without having to carry around a full 15" laptop.

2. What I do store is kept either on an SD card or on a usb stick.  Anything new is synchronised with my two desktop computers and my 15" laptop, and automatically backed-up to an external hard-disk.

3. Sleep is not appropriate because I rarely leave batteries installed when plugged in, in order to preserve their life.  The reason your battery only lasts 2 hours is because it has been perpetually over-charged. Mine last the life-time of the devices giving full performance because I take care of them.  That is why I hibernate instead of sleep.

Each one of us has our own method of operation.  What suits me may not suit you and vica versa.

Thanks.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@shermans

There all valid points and like I said we use what works best for us. I only mentioned that info and those articles as I thought you might find them interesting. 

Re- #3.

3. Sleep is not appropriate because I rarely leave batteries installed when plugged in, in order to preserve their life.  The reason your battery only lasts 2 hours is because it has been perpetually over-charged. Mine last the life-time of the devices giving full performance because I take care of them.  That is why I hibernate instead of sleep.

Actually my laptop was a freebie from 'Freecycle' and the nice lady that gave it to me said the battery didn't hold charge. As you say it's probably been charged too often but I can't be blamed for that. I did consider buying a new one but given that I only use it for streaming iTunes over 'AirPlay' it's hardly worth it. I just use it with the mains lead whenever I wan't to listen to music.

Glad you found a solution anyway! Thumbs_Up