Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Malware Tactic

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Latest Malware Tactic

Sifting through the latest round of spam at work, I've come across the following:
Your internet access is going to get suspended
The Internet Service Provider Consorcium was made to protect the rights of software authors, artists.
We conduct regular wiretapping on our networks, to monitor criminal acts.
We are aware of your illegal activities on the internet wich were originating from
You can check the report of your activities in the past 6 month that we have attached. We strongly advise you to stop your activities regarding the illegal downloading of copyrighted material of your internet access will be suspended.
Sincerely
ICS Monitoring Team

And it comes with an attachment of course, but I've been far too busy to read my last 6 months of illegal activity Grin
So it's gone from the CNN/MSNBC top 10, to a 'shocking' news story, to a parcel I've not sent which couldn't be delivered, numerous links of nude celebrities to this. Just letting people know.
Thing is, if your ISP is Branson Media, then the wording is probably not too disimilar from the letters they've actually sent Wink
4 REPLIES 4
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Latest Malware Tactic

I got a new one yesterday which has a clever angle. Unfortunately it is let down by the usual poor standard of grammar and punctuation. However, in this case it is not as pertinent as a mail which is supposed to have come from a professional body.
Greetings!

(That's a bad start for anyone who wants to be taken seriously.)
Yesterday I received a message from your bank with your account statement.
I don’t need problems with the police because of your bank’s error!!!
Please contact your bank and ask them to not mistakenly send me your personal data to me.
For the proof of my non-participation in obtaining your personal data, I am attaching the copy of the message containing your account statement which I had received via e-mail!!!!
You must print the copy of the message and pass it on to the bank, so that they wouldn’t mistakenly send me your personal bank account data.

It's a pasable attempt at conning someone into opening the attachment but they'll need to try a bit harder in future.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: geewizz
I got a new one yesterday which has a clever angle. Unfortunately it is let down by the usual poor standard of grammar and punctuation. However, in this case it is not as pertinent as a mail which is supposed to have come from a professional body.....
It's a pasable attempt at conning someone into opening the attachment but they'll need to try a bit harder in future.

You spelt passable incorrectly.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hulls
Grafter

It's bad enough when you get this sort of stuff by email, but I've had two letters in the last month about a £2000 loan I apparently applied for recently (just for the record, I haven't)  When I got the second one, I phoned the 01.... number given and spoke to the loan company.  He asked for my date of birth "for data protection purposes", and was most surprised, when I wouldn't supply it!  I asked how I could know that they weren't some scam merchant who only needed my date of birth to complete their records and steal my identity.  He didn't seem to understand the point, merely replied that he needed to check my date of birth for data protection reasons.  I asked for my name to be removed from their list and told him that I'd be notifying the information commissioner, and the DG of Fair Trading.  He didn't seem to understand that either.
John
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
  He asked for my date of birth "for data protection purposes",

For future reference, give them a false date of birth at this point in proceedings. If they carry on as though you have confirmed your date of birth then you know that they didn't have that information in the first place and, as a bonus, they've now got the wrong information.
I've used this one twice and had loads of fun winding in parasites.