cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser printer recommendations

Mav
Fixes: 515

Laser printer recommendations

My HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m is an excellent colour printer and does great scanning, too but it does use a lot of ink especially with the many cycles is seems to run at power up/down. Most of my printing of late is mono.
So I am thinking of getting a, reasonably priced, mono laser particularly for my OU stuff. Searching through past posts here hasn't really given many clues although Dom S mentioned the Brother HL-5380DN but that is way beyond my price range.
Speed isn't a concern but I'd prefer wireless as well as duplex as standard. The Brother HL-2250DN looks ok but wondered if anyone else has any comments/recommendations for me, please.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

29 REPLIES 29
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Laser printer recommendations

Does it have be small and does it have to be new?  Take a look at ex-office printers on ebay...  A good workgroup printer can be had for around £100, will be much cheaper to run and probably much more reliable.
For example, I've just bought one of these for £100 all in from a different trader.  It's quite big and not very quiet but it's fast and well built.
Edit -  link fixed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you must get wireless, get one that can also take a USB connection.
Some prints require quite a large data transfer to take place.
Note that a wireless connection requires a transmit to the router, followed by a second transmission from router to printer.
A USB connection only requires a single data transmit.
BTW I use a cheap rebadged Samsung (a Dell) for my OU stuff.
It didn't come with proper Linux drivers, despite claims to the contrary.
I made it work though!!!  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

+1 on a 2nd hand laser. As long as it has been refurbished (new toner & drum at a min) it will last for YEARS. If you must have wifi then look at a usb->wifi adaptor if you can't situate it close to the router or a long usb cable.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Does it have be small and does it have to be new?  Take a look at ex-office printers on ebay...  A good workgroup printer can be had for around £100, will be much cheaper to run and probably much more reliable.
For example, I've just bought one of these for £100 all in from a different trader.  It's quite big and not very quiet but it's fast and well built.

Typo in the link!
Geoff,
York.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy
+1 on a 2nd hand laser.
+2  Cool
It's a very long time since I bought a laser printer, I just pick them up on a Freecycle.
Usually a quick clean of the insides and rollers and a new toner cartridge (often given away too!) and they're up and working. Smiley
My current collection is a LaserJet 6P (bombproof and my main everyday printer on W7x64, shared across my network), Brother HL-1250, Samsung ML-1510 and HP Laserjet1300.
Mav

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll do some research based on the suggestions.
I may decide not to buy as it really depends on what I can get within my budget which may stretch to £100 but may not if SWMBO gets her way Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Santiago
Grafter

Ebay!
I bought a used Brother HL-5130 on Ebay for £1.98 (collected locally) it was like brand new but the toner cartridge was missing
Bought a toner cartridge  from Smart Cartridge for £25. all been perfect. Got to be the way to do it.
Mav

Been looking around a bit more...
Not sure about eBay at the moment as I'm not up to sorting out any major hardware problems if any arise in getting it to 'go'. A few years ago perhaps but just not now.
I have seen the term LED printer banded about. Is that just another name for laser or is it a completely different beast?
I have been looking at this Epson. Any comments, pleas?

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Comments:
Not many reviews
Toner v.expensive and only lasts for 2500 pages
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
I have seen the term LED printer banded about. Is that just another name for laser or is it a completely different beast?
They have been around for a while, just slightly different technology for creating the image on the photosensitive drum, but basically very similar.
I think Samsung might have produced them first and they were a bit cheaper.
Mav

It seems some of the more highly recommended brands' toners do work out a bit more expensive.
I'm seriously considering the Brother 2250 which has got some good reviews. It has automatic duplex but Ethernet rather than wireless but that isn't a problem as I do have a spare power plug available.
After a bad experience using compatible inks with an inkjet several years ago I have always stuck with the manufacturer's ever since no matter what make/model. But what about compatible toners? Are they more reliable?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

experience related by other users is that the toner lasts so long that it isn't worth the risk
depends on the usage
Mav

I doubt if I'd be printing more than a dozen a week and rarely graphics.
Just to contrast with my HP inkjet: all five inks were replaced around a month or so ago. Very little yellow left, around a third of cyan/magenta each and about half the black. The photo black is hardly touched. Very little colour printing involved as most has simply been black text no more than a dozen or so pages on average a week.
Every time the printer is turned on/off it does it's 'thing' which much drain a fair bit of ink before it even starts a print run.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I used to refill my HP toner cart's. Don't know about others, some introduced a system similar to the "chips" on ink cart's.