Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptops

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Laptops

Well after my experience with a new Tosh L300D with Vista Home Premium which would connect to 1 wireless connection ONCE and then refuse to connect to it when you rebooted and would not connect to any other Wireless connection I'm in the market for a new laptop.
If I have to have Vista on it then so be it but I plan to dual boot it to Linux (I use Linux for my php development work) but need Windows for "work". 
So I'm looking for machine with 3-4GB of RAM and a good sized hard drive. Battery life is not a major issue but I'd like more than 55 minutes (which is all the L300D could do under Vista).
Budget is round the £450 mark. Slightly less if I need to buy a new Wireless router to get it to work (which was the advice I got for the L300D).
I'm currently using an old Tosh SA30 with its whopping 22GB HDD and 768MB of RAM running Ubuntu and its 1024*768 display is a bit "small"
10 REPLIES 10
Njal
Grafter

Re: Laptops

No particular recommendations, but have a look at Morgan:
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/default.asp
and Sterling:
http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/
They don't usually have state-of-the-art cutting edge kit, but a bargain can sometimes be found.
Regards,
Neil
SteveA
Pro

Thanks, I'll look at both of those. I often look at the Morgan ads when they are in Private Eye.
Now I've never taken advantage of the Free Wireless Router from Plusnet. I'm on Option 2 and have no intention of moving from PlusNet and I assume that their new wireless routers are "Vista compatible" (what ever that means!). So that would free up some more money to spend on the laptop.  Cheesy
Denzil
Grafter

All routers (at least in theory) are independent of the operating system as they communicate using a standard network protocol (TCP/IP). USB modems are the ones you have to be careful with, as they rely on software drivers.
Not applicable

Hurry up and take advantage of the free router if you stay for 12 months - I believe that demand is high and stock 'flying off the shelves' as they say. Just taken delivery of the Thomson TG686v7 - easy to install and works well.
And yes, Denzil is correct - USB won't work with Vista AFAIK.
My own laptop is a Dell Vostro 1700 (Business Edition) but bought from a local shop who resells them for Dell (pre-ordered but not shipped for some reason). Got it a couple of hundred cheaper than it would have been direct from the company so am well pleased.
Good luck with your choice of laptop - nothing like a new computer - enjoy.
SteveA
Pro

Dont want USB - filthy concept for a router frankly. I started off with an Alcatel Frog and it was a pain.
My Dlink DSL-G624T (actually a flashed 504) works fine but I was told by some numpty that I needed a Vista Capable Wireless router. My take on it is - that if Vista doesn't work with my wireless router then Vista is wrong. I know they introduced the Broadcast Flag into the DHCP which breaks some none Microsoft DHCP servers (oh there's a surprise - Microsoft breaking something).
But the Dlink is getting old and its suffering from Electrical Alzheimers at times (like forgetting its settings) so if I can get a router for post only rather than paying £60 for one then I can spend more money on my laptop 😉
So do I just raise a ticket?

Denzil
Grafter

Yes, I think all you need to do is raise a support ticket saying you are happy to be charged for the P&P. PN won't charge you for the router itself as long as you stay for at least a year.
SteveA
Pro

Router ordered
New Laptop sitting on desk and its working fine. Its a Medion S5610 and seems to be very good  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you get this version from Aldi - not due out til 20th
MEDION® AKOYA® S2210. The dress code for this season.
only £499.99 *
Swarovski style
More than 300 original Swarovski crystals embedded in the notebook lid
Not applicable

Thank you for the information Pierre - so  Cool  - gotta have one!
My two favourite things put together - a computer and Swarovski crystals.
Just made for me!
SteveA
Pro

Well the S5610 seems to go for the blue lights (a-la boy racers) so I guess a crystal encrusted one is only a logical progression. I hope they never bring out a Burberry one!
I've got it running Ubuntu now, had to edit a file to get the audio working but I think it got confused because its got HDMI audio as well as normal stuff.
It also boots Linux and Vista a hell of a lot faster than the Tosh and the Vista install wasn't bloated out with crud like the Tosh was