Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptops and phone lines

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Laptops and phone lines

An acquaintance has suffered from a noisy line,and having done all the tests was about to report to his ISP.
However his son, who used a wifi connected laptop had to go away. Now the noise has vanished.
Is it just coincidence, or could the laptop be a cause of the noise? If 'yes', what could be the problem?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Laptops and phone lines

First suspect might be a faulty PSU.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
logan47
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Electrical  devices can cause problems to your connection as mentioned above.
See here for a better explanation than I can give.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm ; Smiley
Can be hard to track down at times.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

thx guys Smiley
btw how easy is a PSU to test?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
picbits
Rising Star

Not easy to properly test as you need some serious spectrum analyser kit and a Faraday cage.
However, if you unplug the laptop and run it on batteries and the issue goes away then you can probably narrow it down to the mains power brick. This is especially true if its an aftermarket one rather than the original .....