Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Laptop

I Don't have a laptop but someone was asking me the other day about a New Dell laptop purchased direct from Dell with the question being what is supplied with it, is it a rescue disk with windows 7 already installed on a partition of the hard disk.
This is not a question I have really needed to address as I have built my own desktop computers and purchased the Windows software on Disk ?
Please advise.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Laptop

Having bought three or four Dell laptops direct from Dell, the answer is "both".... BUT.. not sure of the current situation...
Best thing to do is to get on to the Dell website, and find the bit "contact us"... and either chat live or phone them up to find out...
I think it depends on which model you buy , whether you get the Windows 7 disc.... also be aware, that some Dell laptops do not have an "easily removable" / easily changeable HDD...
Most recently bought one for the missus, which was "ready to go" and found out that if the HDD needs replacing, you have to remove the keyboard, and several other "bits and bobs"  (video on YouTube) to get the Old HDD out...
My previous one the HDD is accessible from the underneath by removing two small philips head screws.....
HTH Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
... Dell laptop purchased direct from Dell with the question being what is supplied with it

Dell provide a detailed inventory of what is supplied with any computer you order.  You do not normally get a Windows disc unless you pay extra for it.  You might get a recovery disc although many manufacturers these days expect you to create your own set of recovery discs.  There will be a recovery partition on the hard drive but that's no good if the hard drive fails. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've seen some recently that were worse than that.  Angry
Basically you had to use the Windows 7 backup facilties (though you were prompted).
This means taking a  "system image" backup to DVD, as soon as possible after turning on the system.
And then backups as and when of system and data.
No restore partition. No option to create reinstall DVD's.  Angry
If you have to replace the hard disk there's no installation disk, you have to restore from the system image that you saved yourself.
Needless to say, many people don't bother.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

That does at least have the advantage that you can get rid of all the thrown-in junk before you create the system image.