cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop via wifi does not show on router device list

johnnorris-10

Laptop via wifi does not show on router device list

I have a speedtouch 585 v6 router. It can show the devices connected, both wired and wireless.

My android tablet (wireless) is listed. My windows 10 laptop will show if connected wired but does not always show wirelessly (just very occasionally). I have noticed this in the last few weeks because I was investigating another issue.

I can not think of anything I have set in windows to stop this showing. I obviously have internet access - I am typing this on the laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

John

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Laptop via wifi does not show on router device list

If it's working why does it matter. It's probably dodgy firmware in the router.

johnnorris-10

It matters because  I do not know the reason why this does not work. And I like to know why things happen. It suggests there is a setting in Windows that is stopping the wifi being recorded. And that setting is not there on Android.

In the same vein, a Microsoft browser will not allow admin access to the router. Has to be Firefox or Chrome. Which is fine, I know why that is and there is a workaround. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Well that's very diligent of you but I worked as a software engineer for over 30 years and there were many times I did not know the reason why things did not work, if it is not affecting the function of the device or system why worry about it.Smiley

johnnorris-10

OK. Well I am very happy for you. I too have worked in software development for over 35 years and, like you, did not always (and still do not) know why things happen. In real life they tend to be things that come back to bite you in the [-Censored-].

I am not sure why you bother to post on these forums except to show what a seasoned pro you really are. I am asking a question. If you don't know the answer then perhaps it might be an idea to not reply.

Just a suggestion.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@johnnorris-10

I'm not sure about this but worth checking out. My laptop was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a little setting in some Toshiba software on my system called 'Radar'. I don't know which laptop you are using but could there be something similar on yours? Radar is installed on Toshiba laptops and tells you which connections are available/visible/connected. BUT..if switched off it will not show the laptop connected (although it obviously is). I don't know why it does this and it took me a few days to figure it out but I was just wondering if something similar was on yours.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@johnnorris-10 As you claim to be a more seasoned pro than myself I will leave you to solve your non existent problem.Grin

johnnorris-10

Hi @Pete11,

the lapto is a thinkpad and it does have various utilities like Lenovo Vantage. Can't see anything there that would hide the wifi but this is a good suggestion and I will investigate further.