cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop turns off when charger unplugged...

Mav
Fixes: 515

Laptop turns off when charger unplugged...

Charge indicator says full (100%) yet as soon as I unplug the charger it turns off. No notice of low battery power or indication that is is shutting down.
I have run full AV scans with nothing found so am looking at what are the possible causes and a fix.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660.
The laptop is just over two years old and I regularly (every few months) allow the battery to completely drain.
Edit: I have checked power settings and they all seem correct.
Any advice, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

20 REPLIES 20
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Laptop turns off when charger unplugged...

Can you check the battery condition using a multimeter?
Replacements on ebay are from about £16 inc postage
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Toshiba+Satellite+Pro+C660+battery&_sop=15.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's odd. My old Toshiba of several years the battery would still last 15-20 minutes.
I guess you have checked all the contacts are clean etc.
Mav

@shutter Don't have a multimeter.
@billnotben I will check and clean contacts shortly.
As the laptop is from the OU I am only responsible for theft/loss otherwise the company that supplied it will either repair or replace it. I was hoping it may be something I could resolve without having to contact them.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
The laptop is just over two years old and I regularly (every few months) allow the battery to completely drain.

Modern Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries don't need to be deep-discharged and recharged like that, it's actually quite bad for them, in ye olde beige-box days when laptops used big NiCad batteries, a Discharge-Recharge cycle was good for them to prevent the battery memory effect, but these days it's not needed...
Couldn't say if the battery is at fault or not though, you need to substitute a known working battery with the one you presently have, if it shuts down still, it's the battery circuit inside the laptop, if it keeps running, the old battery is goosed... Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav

@shutter Don't have a multimeter.

find a small 12 volt bulb... ( car side light,  12volt led ... )... fix two insulated wires to the contacts... bare the ends of the wires.... touch one to one contact on the battery, and then the other to other contacts in sequence, ( if more than two contacts on battery)... if the bulb lights and then dims... the battery is duff... if the bulb doesn`t light,....then the battery is duff, or you have the wrong sequence of connections...  be careful not to have too much bare wire on the "prod" ends, so you don`t short circuit by accident.... ! .

Others may disagree on this procedure..... ! ..
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or connect the two bits of wire to your tongue.
You will notice if there's any voltage present.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Do not do that.... people have died because they tested 9volt batts that way...  Shocked
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

They have?  Huh
Were they licking 9V batteries that had been linked into a chain so they produced 180 Volts DC? If they were then they were numpties... Grin
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, they have... I can`t remember where I heard or saw it.... because it was a few years ago......

Maybe it was a Daily Mail story........    Roll_eyes
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: shutter
Maybe it was a Daily Mail story........    Roll_eyes

It does have a whiff of Daily Fail about it (similar to bovine, but with a corporate hint of wrinkly old new zealander thrown in), I do know that kids swallowing button cell batteries can be damaging, but not licking 9v batteries,.... Grin
I'm proof of that fact that licking them is not lethal, I've licked them many times in my life, might explain a few things about my personality though.... Huh
PeeGee
Pro

I did see a report a while ago, but it related to someone piercing the skin with probes from a low voltage battery (thereby removing that resistive element) and suffering a heart attack - IIRC it related to a US military "electronics trainee". May try locating it later!!!
Edit: think it was this item Crazy
It's probably on a par with the story from a REME colleague story of someone calculating an OC71 transistor was capable of handling a MW (slide-rules have a lot to answer for Shocked )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Mav

Back to the OP....
I have contacted the company that supplied the laptop and, after ensuring that it starts without the battery connected (which it does), it has been deemed that the battery is worn out rather than faulty.
Not going to argue on this as the Open University will pay for the replacement which should be with me in a couple of weeks depending how long the paperwork takes.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: PeeGee
I did see a report a while ago, but it related to someone piercing the skin with probes from a low voltage battery (thereby removing that resistive element) and suffering a heart attack - IIRC it related to a US military "electronics trainee". May try locating it later!!!
Edit: think it was this item Crazy
It's probably on a par with the story from a REME colleague story of someone calculating an OC71 transistor was capable of handling a MW (slide-rules have a lot to answer for Shocked )

Not to mention that the internal resistance of the battery will reduce the voltage applied to the curious sailor.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

Just received a letter from the OU to say that a replacement battery is on it's way to me - from the original supplier @ £138 inc VAT Shocked
They can be bought new online for around £40-£50!