Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop/tablet for work travel

candell
Grafter

Laptop/tablet for work travel

Hi
I have a laptop that I use for work but also carry around with me to meetings, travel (train and plane) but have been thinking about something smaller and lightweight for when out and about. My main machine will still be my current laptop but I need something that is light, portable and will let me work.
When out and about I need to be able to use Photoshop CS6 (nothing huge but need to be able to manage files up to 30MB with many layers) and other Windows software. I noticed an advert for a Windows Surface but noticed that it comes with Windows RT so won't be able to run the software I need.
When researching the Surface I came across the Asus T100 which runs Windows 8, some reviews say that it happily runs Photoshop but with just 2GB memory (my current laptop has 10GB) will it really be ok?
Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at? I just want to get away from having to carry a big laptop bag, charger etc so something tablet sized that I can still work on would ber perfect that I can simply slide into my other bag I carry.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Laptop/tablet for work travel

I have a Hannspree 10.1" netbook.... it is "old hat"... but works fine for me... running W7 starter.  It is very light.. and can be used for over 5 hours without re-charging... so no need to carry the psu with you... There is also a 10.1" tablet out now... ( google is your friend here )...
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=hannspree+10.1+netbook
tablets...

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=hannspree+10.1+tablet

Mine originally had only 1GB ram... but it was easy to upgrade it... just undo a panel on the bottom...  and the HDD is the standard laptop 2.5" also easily replaced.  You can get a very nice padded case on ebay for about £10.00...
I do not use photoshop, but I do use it for editing pics with Photo Pos Pro.. ( FREE ) and very very similar to photoshop...  You could always check with Hannspree as to the max RAM you can fit... ( probably 4GB) but can`t remember now...)  had it a couple of years and it has never let me down... 
Might be worth a look.....  Wink
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: candell
When researching the Surface

Did you look at the Surface Pro 2?  It runs the full version of Windows 8.  ("Surface" runs Windows 8 RT, now just called Windows 8 as they're dropping the "RT" name, as it uses an ARM processor; while "Surface Pro" runs Windows 8, also still called Windows 8, as it uses an Intel i-series processor.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CEcmA-GiXo gives an interesting comparison with the Apple iPad Air tablet, which seems to suggest the Surface Pro 2 might be what you're looking for.
I haven't used any of them, but am intrigued.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given the cost of buying a second Photoshop license have you considered Gimp
shutter
Community Veteran

@ old jim...... PhotoPosPro is "almost" the same as photoshop.... but it is FREE.. no licence required.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

why is that addressed to me
shutter
Community Veteran

Cos you suggested the op needs to buy a second licence, and I had already mentioned PhotoPosPro in my first posting. I was suggesting it to you as an alternative if you needed a second licence for photoshop as well.... just trying to help two people at the same time ! ! ...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have a free version - unlimited license - of CS2 which does everything I need
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
@ old jim...... PhotoPosPro is "almost" the same as photoshop.... but it is FREE.. no licence required.
But is it the same as Photoshop ? can it deal with RAW files the same as ACR ? (Adobe Camera Raw)
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Short answer.... Don`t know. as I don`t process those formats...
longer answer... Download it... FREE and try it ... FREE... then see if it does.... if it does... then remember ... it`s FREE.. and if it doesn`t... Then you have learned something  for FREE ... ! ! !  Wink Cheesy Cheesy
candell
Grafter

Thanks all for the replies, to respond
I have a Hannspree 10.1" netbook

It looks like a nifty piece of kit but I'm really after a tablet/laptop hybrid.
Did you look at the Surface Pro 2

Yes, the price is hefty though considering that I won't be using it that much, the base spec Pro 2 with keyboard is over £800.
I noticed the Lenovo Miix 2 10" that looks ok, can't find anywhere selling it just yet though. There is also the first gen Miix which looks ok, similar specs to the Asus T100 so it should run Photoshop (or PhotoPosPro which I'll also be looking into, thanks for that). http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-ideatab-miix-intel-dual-core-atom-2gb-64gb-10-1--win-8-91BH.html
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You need a desktop with a very big monitor for image processing.
10" isn't big enough.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

candell
Grafter

I'm a back end software developer, I am given psd files which I generate transparent png's, jpg's etc for each element on a page. I only use Photoshop minimally but use it to preserve layers etc so I can chop up the individual elements I need.
I also can't take a desktop with a very big monitor to work on a plane or train unfortunately, for some reason they frown on that.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thought I`d look at Dell 10" laptops....
saw that one had a keyboard with docking ..... but.... then I went to the review page... and this is definitely one to avoid.... !
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/dell-xps-10-review-50009051/
Not sure if the spec on this one would be of interest....
http://www.pcworld.com/product/118227/inspiron-mini-10.html
candell
Grafter

For me the thought of using it as a tablet for general browsing/playing but then I can do some work (not as a main work machine but for when travelling) by attaching a keyboard is very appealing.
The Microsoft Surface (and TV ads) hit the spot perfectly, those marketing  Lips_are_sealed
I'm heading over to the USA for 3 weeks next month, a Surface Pro 2 64GB and keyboard is £600, over here it's nearer £850. Might get one then